PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Too much Space inserted by a space!

underwater
June 24th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Hello,

I have a weird problem all of a sudden. It appears that, out of nowhere, my spaces are HUGE! In other words, when I press the spacebar, instead of a normal space I get a space that is the size of like maybe 10 spaces! It isn't actually inserting that many spaces, it is just that a single space has grown huge!

lisati
June 24th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Hello,

I have a weird problem all of a sudden. It appears that, out of nowhere, my spaces are HUGE! In other words, when I press the spacebar, instead of a normal space I get a space that is the size of like maybe 10 spaces! It isn't actually inserting that many spaces, it is just that a single space has grown huge!

Is it happening in just one context (such as Open Office writer) or in everything?

underwater
June 24th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Is it happening in just one context (such as Open Office writer) or in everything?

I thought it was everything, including GTK apps, but now I'm not so sure. It might just be Mozilla type apps. At first I thought it was all apps because Liferea also had the problem, but I just realized that the rendering for Liferea is probably done through mozilla somehow.

lisati
June 24th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I thought it was everything, including GTK apps, but now I'm not so sure. It might just be Mozilla type apps. At first I thought it was all apps because Liferea also had the problem, but I just realized that the rendering for Liferea is probably done through mozilla somehow.
I'm not sure what settings to check for GTK apps....

underwater
June 24th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Ok, I happened to find the problem in a bug listing reported by Debian people. The workaround for the fix was to purge

pango-graphite

I did this with

sudo aptitude remove --purge pango-graphite

In case this comes up in the future

bpedman
June 25th, 2008, 12:41 AM
oh my goodness!!! you are a life saver...I somehow messed up firefox 3 and all the spacing was HUGE...this fixed it, thanks!

MatthewPlanchard
June 30th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Thanks for this solution!

I had installed pango-graphite while trying to get the stackswitch plugin to install for Compiz. When I went to do a 'make', it told me that pangocairo.pc was not found.

At first I just installed all the pango packages I could find, and eventually learned about the command 'apt-file search' and used that to get the right library.

Thanks again for your help!