PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems installing ubuntu 8.04

Sukainami
June 24th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I recently tried upgrading my ubuntu to version 8.04 and let it run over night. I ran it today and it works fine, all the way up until I log my user in, then all it does is show my desktop icons on a blank screen, and if I click on them it returns me to the log in menu. Luckily I have kubuntu 7.1 on my computer as well so I could get this out there, any help would be appreciated, a solution that doesn't involve losing my photos and music would be preferred.

ibutho
June 24th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Hi.

Have you tried running the upgrade again via the terminal i.e. at the login screen do CTRL-ALT-F1 then login to the terminal and run

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
Also try creating a new user account (using adduser or useradd) and see if you can login successfully into that account. If you can, try deleting the ~/.gnome* directories (after backing them up first) of your old user account and try to login again.

Sukainami
June 24th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Hi.

Have you tried running the upgrade again via the terminal i.e. at the login screen do CTRL-ALT-F1 then login to the terminal and run

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
Also try creating a new user account (using adduser or useradd) and see if you can login successfully into that account. If you can, try deleting the ~/.gnome* directories (after backing them up first) of your old user account and try to login again.
Thanks, I'll try that.