PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Slow Updates??!

bdstein
June 24th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Security updates are taking forever on my machine. My updates are coming from us.archive.ubuntu.com. Is there a faster place to get my updates? If so how do I change my security update settings? 5500 B/s is killing me. Nothing else I download goes that slow.

angryfirelord
June 24th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Yes, that's why there's more than 1 mirror. :) In Synaptic, go to Software Sources, click on the Download From drop down box, choose select other mirror and then click the button "Choose best mirror". Synaptic will then ping all of the mirrors in your region and choose the one with the lowest ping response. Or, you can choose your own mirror if you know there's one nearby.

bdstein
June 24th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Ahh yes, seems so easy. It did work and I can't believe I couldn't figure that out myself. Thanks for your input.

angryfirelord
June 24th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Ahh yes, seems so easy. It did work and I can't believe I couldn't figure that out myself. Thanks for your input.
It's all part of the learning curve. If you stick with Ubuntu and keep trying to answer other people's questions, you'd be surprised how easily you learn this stuff in six months. I never got that same joy from Windows. :)