PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] unable to recognize sata dvd drive in installation of 8.04 server

jonschin
June 23rd, 2008, 09:17 PM
I ordered a new computer and would like to play around with the server edition however because my new computer has a sata dvd drive when it tries to find the cd rom drive it can not find it. I then tried to set it up using a usb flash drive. I got to the same spot and could go no further. I am by no means an expert but i am also not completely green, aka i am not afraid of diving into files and playing around with them to try and get the installation to work. The problem is that i do not know which file i would need to change, if any, for the installation to not want to look for a cd rom anymore.

Pumalite
June 23rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Try editing the boot line and adding all_generic_ide at the end.
http://grumpymole.blogspot.com/2007/05/ubuntu-how-to-edit-grub-boot-parameters.html

jonschin
June 23rd, 2008, 10:25 PM
its not a problem with the grub boot loader. The problem is with the installation disk. I want to try changing something in the installation usb

jonschin
July 19th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I dont know why this is true but the server installation does not work, however the desktop installation works.