PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade problem from Gutsy to Hardy

TheAJKMan
June 23rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
Hi folks. This time it is a 'minor' problem, I had d/l and burnt to cd the version that was update manager. I assume that this is the alternate version CD. My problem that I'm hoping to avoid is a complete fresh install, am just wanting to do an upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy. The problem is that when I insert said CD into my drive, it opens up a window that just lists all the files and folders and no dialog pops up asking if I want to upgrade. This page which gives pretty decent basic steps on how to upgrade gives this command to run by pressing 'Alt + F2' and typing in the following "gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade" " It doesn't seem to do anything at all, Am I missing something?

What makes this a little odd is that if I reboot with the CD in the cdrom drive, it brings up the dialog about installing/just looking at the cd, but no options to just upgrade. Has it perhaps d/l the LiveCD instead of the alternate version? I'm a little confused and stuck here.

Hope someone can help this babbling noob :) Thanks guys.

avtolle
June 23rd, 2008, 09:08 PM
It sounds to me as if you have the Live CD, not the alternate install one. When you downloaded the iso from the site (assuming you used the Ubuntu site and not one of the mirrors), did you check the alternate box (it's about 2/3 or so down the page)?

TheAJKMan
June 23rd, 2008, 09:17 PM
avtolle, I didn't d/l directly from the site myself. I had installed all the security updates and the recommended ones and thought what the heck, let me do the upgrade as well. At the top of the update manager there stands the following...."New distribution release '8.04 LTS" is available and the button that says upgrade. It is via that that I d/l the iso that I burnt to CD. Would that then be the LiveCD? And does that mean I have to do a clean install? If it does, it isn't too much of a train smash, as I have backed everything up, just to be on the safe side this time :)

avtolle
June 23rd, 2008, 10:07 PM
Well, if you used the update manager, it should have installed the new system for you. I'm not sure first how you were able to download an iso through this method, and second why your system didn't update to 8.04 without you needing to manually install anything. Mark me totally confused, here.

EDIT: However, if an iso did download, it likely would have been the Live CD iso, not the alternate install iso.

avtolle
June 23rd, 2008, 10:11 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download go here and down the page check the alternate box, if you decide to do a clean install. Have you restarted your system since the download? As mentioned earlier, I'm totally confused as to what happened.