PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with RAR?

isaacj87
June 23rd, 2008, 08:10 PM
Hey everyone,

I have a question about RAR. I installed it and I use it quite frequently, but then I noticed something interesting about its description. It states:

Archiver for .rar files
This is the RAR archiver from Eugene Roshal. It supports multiple volume
archives and damage protection. It can also create SFX-archives. There are
versions which run on DOS, Windows (3.1x,95,NT), FreeBSD, BSDI.

This program is shareware and you must register it after 40 days of use.

I've had this installed on my lappy for quite some time (much more than 40 days) and I haven't received a complaint from the program telling me to purchase a license for the program. So what's the deal with this? Apparently, the author must be losing a lot of money!

Tom--d
June 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
I would like to know as well :)

eragon100
June 23rd, 2008, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I use winrar under wine (it works perfectly and it has a GUI), and I havent's any complaints from it either, and all functionality is still working :)

madjr
June 23rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
Yeah, I use winrar under wine (it works perfectly and it has a GUI), and I havent's any complaints from it either, and all functionality is still working :)

the OP is not speaking about winrar in wine

he's speaking about the one in the repos that gets added into file-roller :)

personally i have no problem with it.

The windows version doesn't nag me anymore either.

bufsabre666
June 23rd, 2008, 11:15 PM
its made by the same people as winrar, if you goto their site www.rarsoft.com you can compile it from source and everything, you dont have to register it, im sure winrar users will remember the trial never expires

jrusso2
June 24th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Hey everyone,

I have a question about RAR. I installed it and I use it quite frequently, but then I noticed something interesting about its description. It states:

Archiver for .rar files
This is the RAR archiver from Eugene Roshal. It supports multiple volume
archives and damage protection. It can also create SFX-archives. There are
versions which run on DOS, Windows (3.1x,95,NT), FreeBSD, BSDI.

This program is shareware and you must register it after 40 days of use.

I've had this installed on my lappy for quite some time (much more than 40 days) and I haven't received a complaint from the program telling me to purchase a license for the program. So what's the deal with this? Apparently, the author must be losing a lot of money!

To be fair if your using it you probably should register it.

isaacj87
June 24th, 2008, 03:28 AM
To be fair if your using it you probably should register it.

I agree completely. So I just removed the program.

phaed
June 24th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Interesting, because I just noticed that unrar wasn't open source the other day when I installed vrms (Virtual Richard M Stallman), which scans your system for non-open source apps. Here's the output of mine:

crafty
human-icon-theme
linux-generic
linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-16-generic
linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-17-generic
linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-18-generic
linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-generic
linux-restricted-modules-common
linux-restricted-modules-generic
sun-java6-bin
sun-java6-fonts
sun-java6-jre
sun-java6-plugin
ttf-kochi-gothic-naga10
unrar

15 non-free packages, 1.1% of 1415 installed packages.

My system is 98.9% free! Although, to be fair, a lot of that stuff is redundant.

Come to think of it, I wonder if my system would be negatively affected if I removed all that stuff.

isaacj87
June 24th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Interesting, because I just noticed that unrar wasn't open source the other day when I installed vrms (Virtual Richard M Stallman), which scans your system for non-open source apps. Here's the output of mine:

crafty
human-icon-theme
linux-generic
linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-16-generic
linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-17-generic
linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-18-generic
linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-generic
linux-restricted-modules-common
linux-restricted-modules-generic
sun-java6-bin
sun-java6-fonts
sun-java6-jre
sun-java6-plugin
ttf-kochi-gothic-naga10
unrar

15 non-free packages, 1.1% of 1415 installed packages.

My system is 98.9% free! Although, to be fair, a lot of that stuff is redundant.

Come to think of it, I wonder if my system would be negatively affected if I removed all that stuff.

You know, you make an interesting point...I don't think I would be negatively affected if I removed some of my non-free stuff. The version of unrar you have install is most likely the non-free version. There is, however, a "free" version in the repos.

swoll1980
June 24th, 2008, 06:08 AM
I use the p7zip-full package it un-rars, and uncompresses anything I've ever come across pretty easily