PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] is it possible to use ubuntu with 256mbDDR ram

abhijeetcec
June 23rd, 2008, 07:20 PM
i have 256mbDDR ram in my computer can i use ubuntu 8.04 without upgrading my ram please healp....

abhijeetcec
June 23rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
plese help me yar

avtolle
June 23rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
Yes; but to install it, you will need to use the alternate install disk, as the Live (Desktop)CD requires 384 mb to run the graphical installer. You well might want to consider Xubuntu, as it runs better on lower spec machines such as yours.

PgTips
June 24th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Imight just be worth a try! This machine I am using is a RM branded Samsung GT7000 with 501Mhz cpu, 256Meg RAM. It was first installed with Ubuntu 7.04 live cd (free with Linux Format Magazine) and subsequently upgraded from online sources using upgrade manager. It has (within it's resource limitations) proven more successful to install than a couple of better resourced desktops! If you don't have anything else installed on that machine just go for it for it and try it out - you might be pleasantly surprised. Just bear in mind that it might sit there looking like it's doing nothing at times. When that happens go and have a cuppa! When you get back sit and stare at it for a while and watch to see if the HD light flickers occasionally. If it does go and have another cuppa. If it doesn't you might consider trying the other method suggested. If you need quick results try that anyway.