PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] how can I associate a keybord shortcut to access desktop

lavy
June 23rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
Hy,

I'm trying to associate a keyboard shortcut key to Desktop access. I mean I want to minimize all windows by a stroke of a key and see the desktop. I've looked in System Settings -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts but I didn't find what I wanted.

Thanks

VMC
June 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
Hy,

I'm trying to associate a keyboard shortcut key to Desktop access. I mean I want to minimize all windows by a stroke of a key and see the desktop. I've looked in System Settings -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts but I didn't find what I wanted.

Thanks

Look at the bottom far left. There shold be a square box. If you hover over it, it says "Click here to hide all windows and show the desktop"

Edit: If you don't have it, the right click on one of the panels and use +Add to the panel. Look for Show Desktop, then add it.

rainwalker
June 23rd, 2008, 11:28 PM
Try Control + Alt + D
If that doesn't work, are you using Compiz? If so, install the compizconfig-settings-manager package and then go to System > Preferences > Advanced Desktop Effects Settings. Under the General Options sections, go to the Key Bindings tab and look at what is set to show the desktop

jspolen
June 24th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Found this guide at http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/01/30/defining-keyboard-shortcuts-for-commands/

1) Run gconf-editor
2) Find Apps -> Metacity -> Keybinding Commands
3) Click on command_1 -or any empty one upto- command_12
4) In “value” type the command you want to run
5) Move upto “global_keybindings”
6) Click on “run_command_x (x corresponds to the value at 3)
7) Type in a key or combination, eg:
Super_L = Left Win key
Super_R = Right Win key 8) It should work straight away

To find a value of a key, run: gnome-keybinding-properties and click in an unused box then press the key you want. Just press backspace to clear it before you quit if you don’t want to save it.

lavy
June 24th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Hy,

I forget to mention that I use KDE, anyway the Ctrl+Alt +D shortcut worked.

Tx

bogdanbiv
June 28th, 2008, 05:23 PM
AFAIK, Kubuntu = Ubuntu + KDE Desktop Env
I don't see where the gconf-editor or Metacity fit in the Kubuntu enviroment.

I guess there's some misunderstanding here.