PDA

View Full Version : Where can a 16 year old get a job?

Jackster
June 23rd, 2008, 04:48 PM
Hey people, the summer holidays are coming up just now and I thought it'd be good to go out there and try to get a job (mainly to pay for a contract for a certain 'Jesus Phone' which is coming out ;) )

Only trouble is I'm 16 and have next to no experience. I delivered leaflets for an Estate Agents a few months ago and I was a volunteer at aKademy 2007 but that's about it. I've already tried in a local coffee shop, I've tried Asda (aka Wal*Mart) but they haven't got back to me, and I have applications for Woolworths, WHSmith, Co-op, Zavvi, Waterstones, Morissons and Tesco which I'll be filling in soon.

Anyone got any other suggestions as to places I should try, or any other tips for finding a job?

Lostincyberspace
June 23rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
talk to people you know in your area the higher they are in a company the better!

fatality_uk
June 23rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
Hey people, the summer holidays are coming up just now and I thought it'd be good to go out there and try to get a job (mainly to pay for a contract for a certain 'Jesus Phone' which is coming out ;) )

Only trouble is I'm 16 and have next to no experience. I delivered leaflets for an Estate Agents a few months ago and I was a volunteer at aKademy 2007 but that's about it. I've already tried in a local coffee shop, I've tried Asda (aka Wal*Mart) but they haven't got back to me, and I have applications for Woolworths, WHSmith, Co-op, Zavvi, Waterstones, Morissons and Tesco which I'll be filling in soon.

Anyone got any other suggestions as to places I should try, or any other tips for finding a job?

What are you good at? If you have a skill, use that as a foot in the door. Work to your strengths. For instance, if you have PC skills, create a CV with "work" you have done, networks you have setup, PC's you have repaired, programs you have written etc and then call all the local PC stores and the big multiples and ask the manager to give you just 15 minutes to explain why you think you would be a good summer employee.

DeadSuperHero
June 23rd, 2008, 05:25 PM
If worse comes to worst, find a burger joint. Heck, I work the grill at my local McDonalds, and I LOVE it.

SuperStuff
June 23rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
When I was 16 flipped burgers at McDonalds, bagged groceries at the Air Force commissary, and cut lawns for money. I had friends that worked other fast food restaurants, movie theaters, or picked tobacco during the summer. Best of luck on your job hunt.

Oh sorry. You wanted a tip. Once I turned in an application at McDonalds and the manager said he would call me in a few days. Instead of waiting for them to call me back I just went back the next day and said I was told to come back in. Different manager set me down in front of some training tapes that day and I started working the next day. You have to be a little assertive to let them know you really want to work.

jonathan.gardner04
June 23rd, 2008, 05:36 PM
When I was 16 I worked off shore on an oil rig as a roustabout. It is hard work but the pay is good and will make you strong as an ox. Good luck on the job hunt.

+Eric
June 23rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
Yeah, don't be afraid to call "to check on your application." Kinda lets them know you're actually interested in really having a job. It may also make them think of you again when maybe they had forgotten.

So fill out app, turn in, give it a few days and call!

Good luck.

plb
June 23rd, 2008, 05:55 PM
May sound crappy but waiters/waitresses do make some good money depending on the restaurant and location. Here in NYC I know people that go home with over $300 per night on just tips, some your age...some even 15 years old. But from what I hear Europeans and Americans have different ideas on how to tip at restaurants lol.

helliewm
June 23rd, 2008, 06:10 PM
If you are lucky enough to live in a village local firms may be good to contact as they may well know you. So you have a foot in door over someone outside the local vicinity. Lots of local firms prefer local reliable people.

Helen

MantinoX
June 23rd, 2008, 06:13 PM
Lifeguard, Grocery Store, Camp instructor, Ace hardware, Homedepot, Lowes, It's not hard to find a job just start filling out applications and go from there. Also I also agree on what +Eric said about calling about your application process, Just ask for a store manager and ask. Helps show that you want the job.

mjp216
June 23rd, 2008, 06:23 PM
local supermarket... theyre usually chill and layed back, plus u can have friends meet u there and talk and chill while u stack shelves and ****. its better than a hot fast food kitchen where u have to actually do gross work and get yelled at by angry people. in a supermarket all u have to doo is bag stuff, stack stuff, and tell lost old people where stuff is

billgoldberg
June 23rd, 2008, 06:55 PM
Look in the paper in the "jobs section".

There should be loads of student jobs in there, most likely in a restaurant, bar, ...

I always worked in restaurants during the summer (washing dishes) when I was still a student (1 year ago, moehahaha).

But I can tell you one thing, after you busted your *** off working long hours, you won't find yourself willing to pay loads of money for some stupid phone.

billgoldberg
June 23rd, 2008, 06:58 PM
May sound crappy but waiters/waitresses do make some good money depending on the restaurant and location. Here in NYC I know people that go home with over $300 per night on just tips, some your age...some even 15 years old. But from what I hear Europeans and Americans have different ideas on how to tip at restaurants lol.

I never tip, never.

mishathegoat
June 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
If you could wait 'till you're 17 you could easily get a job at abercrombie (note: not Abercrombie & Fitch). They prefer to hire teens and they'll pretty much hire you no questions asked if you can fit into their clothes. You'd need to be at least 17 though...

EDIT: Hollister is pretty much the same way (maybe slightly more picky).. They hire people 16 years of age. Don't need any work experience or anything.

Lostincyberspace
June 23rd, 2008, 08:31 PM
also check on craigslist if there is a city near you there.

Stefanie
June 23rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
Two years ago i found a job in a bank, maybe you can try that.
it was a nice job with a lot of variation and responsibility (opening accounts, setting up internet banking, ... i got access to the national database with all the information about every customer in my country) but i think you have to be 18.

Crashmaxx
June 23rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
I never tip, never.

You're quite rude then and don't show any appreciation to those who work very hard to serve you. Waiters don't even get minimum wage most of the time and rely entirely on tips.

Anyway, grocery stores are a very good place to work. Stocking shelves is very easy work for good money. But this time of year, you really need to just look in newspapers and online for people looking for low skill workers. Call any that look good, they are often desperate for anyone who will show up for work, regardless of skill or experience.

Phenax
June 23rd, 2008, 09:17 PM
You're quite rude then and don't show any appreciation to those who work very hard to serve you. Waiters don't even get minimum wage most of the time and rely entirely on tips.

Anyway, grocery stores are a very good place to work. Stocking shelves is very easy work for good money. But this time of year, you really need to just look in newspapers and online for people looking for low skill workers. Call any that look good, they are often desperate for anyone who will show up for work, regardless of skill or experience.

I see this all the time.

In Europe, waiters are paid a decent salary but tips are usually not given unless the service is incredibly good.
In America, waiters are paid $2-3/hour (not much) and mostly rely on tips, tips are usually given unless the service is incredibly bad.

lisati
June 23rd, 2008, 09:27 PM
I never tip, never.

Here's a tip: never accept money from a stranger. :)

Seriously though, there have been some good suggestions so far.

Family and friends can sometimes be helpful in finding work. My first two jobs (during the school holidays) were at my parents' work places. Finding something you're good at and can enjoy doing is good too, and being paid for it is a bonus - even if it means getting a stink job while you're waiting to find it.

Jackster
June 23rd, 2008, 10:27 PM
Here's a tip: never accept money from a stranger. :)

Seriously though, there have been some good suggestions so far.

Family and friends can sometimes be helpful in finding work. My first two jobs (during the school holidays) were at my parents' work places. Finding something you're good at and can enjoy doing is good too, and being paid for it is a bonus - even if it means getting a stink job while you're waiting to find it.

I thought of that. According to my mum her place is only looking for permanent full time employees, and my dad doesn't want me working in his place :-(

As for tips, I'm pretty sure in Scotland at least, most people tip in restaurants. I always do.

grossaffe
June 23rd, 2008, 10:28 PM
I heard McDonalds is hiring...