PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Instinct

Black Mage
June 23rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the new Samsung Instinct? The phone advertised as an "IPhone Killer". I want a new phone but I want something like a Blackberry but not a Blackberry or IPhone. So I was thinking maybe this would do it.

Article on it is here if you do not know about it.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/20/AR2008062002612.html

fatality_uk
June 23rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
First question I will ask about a phone from now on: "Is it Linux compatible?"
I do not own a Windows PC any more so kind of crucial :)

In answer to your question, it's up to you. I mean if the specifications are what you need, and you seem to have settled on this, then go for it. If there's something missing, trust me, there are 1,000,000 phones out there for every need.

NovaAesa
June 23rd, 2008, 04:02 PM
First question I will ask about a phone from now on: "Is it Linux compatible?"
My phone never interacts with my computer at all, so I guess that this is a non-issue for me. I have a feeling that my phone is so old that it won't connect to ANY type of computer. :lolflag:

Visti
June 23rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
I would go for a HTC Diamond if I were to buy a new phone right now. It's easy to flash new operating systems, it's got nice specs, it handles SD extentions and quite frankly - it handles very sexily.

fatality_uk
June 23rd, 2008, 04:22 PM
My phone never interacts with my computer at all, so I guess that this is a non-issue for me. I have a feeling that my phone is so old that it won't connect to ANY type of computer. :lolflag:

I know that feeling. Very old Nokia, which is replacing my Sony as that has died. I do think that one area I would like to see Linux pushing forward is in handset compatibility. I know Android is coming out soon, but be nice to have a Nokia client for instance to sync into Evolution or Thunderbird/Sunbird.

karellen
June 23rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
I'm not much into the "iPhone type of cellphone" business as I never liked touchscreens. I need an old reliable keyboard with a decent feedback tactile feeling

lionstilidie
July 4th, 2008, 05:12 AM
I really like my Instinct, yes, Sprint is a little spotty; however it's never been a big issue for me. (plus the unlimited plans are quite nice.) As far as linux support, I'm running hardy and its connecting with no issues. I just put a few gigs of music onto the phone, uploaded and downloaded some pictures. RhythmBox and F-Spot were automatically detected to manage my photos and music. All of which surprised me...I had a bit of an issue getting my Samsung P2 to play nice.

sportman1280
July 8th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I really like my Instinct, yes, Sprint is a little spotty; however it's never been a big issue for me. (plus the unlimited plans are quite nice.) As far as linux support, I'm running hardy and its connecting with no issues. I just put a few gigs of music onto the phone, uploaded and downloaded some pictures. RhythmBox and F-Spot were automatically detected to manage my photos and music. All of which surprised me...I had a bit of an issue getting my Samsung P2 to play nice.

Any news about the contacts manager? Did you have any luck with this?

huffy318
July 22nd, 2008, 07:29 AM
Any news about the contacts manager?

I have been using their website to manage contacts. Looks ok, though today they are having server problems.

It did a nice job of backing up all my contacts, if you don't mind sprint having your list.

I think the windows "media manager" is just that: media and not contacts. I ran it to check it out, but didn't see anything I wanted.

BTW, Nautilus has no problem figuring out that it is both a music payer and a camera. I don't even use that feature: I just plug it in and use a file manager to deal with the files. But I don't use it for music, so maybe there is something I wouldn't know was missing.

Cresho
July 22nd, 2008, 07:36 AM
having a phone is like making car payments. Why dive into another drug?

jeyaganesh
July 22nd, 2008, 09:29 AM
Do you like Sony Ericsson's Xperia?:)

Thumper723
August 2nd, 2008, 06:32 PM
Dumb question- I can "see" my Instinct when I run lsusb, but can't find where it mounted at (if it did at all).

I am running Hardy on a Compaq Presario V6310 laptop.

Apologies for going off on a tangent, but as someone who just went from a "just a phone" and did not have any sort of MP3 player either, I am looking to rip my CD collection and put them on the phone to make use of the MP3 player functionality.

I threw the microSD that it comes with into the adapter, and put that in the computer but can't seem to find where/if that mounts as well.

huffy318
August 2nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
My instinct gets mounted at /media/disk

brokenstrides
August 2nd, 2008, 06:46 PM
having a phone is like making car payments. Why dive into another drug?

I don't have a house phone anymore, because the price difference in owning a cell phone, or a house phone are negligible anymore... And we have to have some way for people to reach us in case of work, job interviews, emergency, etc. I might as well make it a cell phone, and I think that the iPhone will make other cell phones a lot more competitive. :KS

Thumper723
August 2nd, 2008, 07:03 PM
My instinct gets mounted at /media/disk

I got the microSD Card to read, which is a viable working method now.

When I plug the USB cable in, the phone switches to "computer mode" and goes off, but after 4-5 seconds, goes back to phone mode. It takes a charge from my laptop, but does not show the drive.

The SD mounts as
/media/disk-1 with the following directories:
MUSIC MEDIA DCIM filestore OTHER

I am guessing I just dump the MP3s in MUSIC, should there be anything else I need to do to get the music on and working?

huffy318
August 2nd, 2008, 07:20 PM
When I plug the USB cable in, the phone switches to "computer mode" and goes off, but after 4-5 seconds, goes back to phone mode. It takes a charge from my laptop, but does not show the drive.

I just noticed this today, too. The solution is to hit the speech to action button, and then plug it in. Now the phone doesn't go off, either.

It used to mount when i plugged it in, and the phone would go off. I think the new not-mounting-by-default behavior came from the instinct's software update from a couple days ago.

This post gave me the clue abut the STA button and usb mode:
http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1888556&page=23&postcount=331
That entire thread is a great source of tips.

hotani
November 10th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I just got an instinct yesterday and am trying to get it to show up in ubuntu 8.10 so I can get my pix off and upload some music.

Here's what happens after connecting (pressing the 'speech to action' button first as suggested above):

1- a "usb drive" appears in the list of devices in nautilus
2- CPU monitor maxes out on 'I/O waiting' tasks
3- A few errors pop up:

[Unable to mount volume]
DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.NotFound:
The given volume was not found

DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply.
Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the
message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired,
or the network connection was broken.

Error org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.UnknownError.

Then eventually something shows up. However, it is empty. There are no image files, and dropping an mp3 in there does nothing on the phone side. Still shows that I have no music.

When disconnecting, I get:

[Cannot unmount volume]
The volume was probably mounted manually on the command line.

[Unable to unmount 2.0 GB Media]
DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply.
Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the
message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired,
or the network connection was broken.

This happened on two separate machines running 8.10. On one running 8.04, it did nothing at all. So to the poster who said everything worked: what version were you running? Did you do anything to make it work?

huffy318
November 11th, 2008, 04:11 AM
This happened on two separate machines running 8.10. On one running 8.04, it did nothing at all.

I didn't have to do anything to make it work. Using the sta button lets it connect and leaves the phone working. Not using the button lets it connect and the phone is disabled.

I am using 8.04 (up to date) and Gnome 2.22.3. The instinct SW is ES.M800 BH29. I think that is the only important software in this case.

Your error says it sees that the card is 2GB, so it seems to get part way through the connection.

If you take a picture, can you get to it later? That would show that the card at least partly works.

hotani
November 18th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Since this is happening consistently and on two separate machines, I added a bug here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-mount/+bug/299628

That contains a full description of what is happening and a screenshot of all the errors produced by the WM while attempting to mount the device.

What is most disturbing about this is that I cannot connect the phone to the computer just to charge it. The system monitor shows 100% CPU activity in the "IO Wait" category - though this is a dual core machine so it shows as 50%. I am unable to ignore the device from ubuntu.

hotani
November 19th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I happened to have a Mint 5 disk lying around so I tried connecting the phone to a laptop while booted with the live CD. Mint 5 is based on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy).

Phone connected without a problem. No errors. It showed up in rhythmbox. I could browse the filesystem. It was mounted read-only, but that was the only issue I had with the test.

When I right-clicked the device in Nautilus and selected "Unmount," it unmounted without complaint. In the media directory it did not leave a ghost "disk."

Apparently whatever process is used for mounting devices of this sort has been broken with the upgrade to 8.10.

EDIT: See post below. After reformatting to fat32 from windows, card worked fine and was mounted with rw access. I could access photos from fspot/picasa and load music onto the device.

hotani
November 22nd, 2008, 11:08 PM
UPDATE: If you have an Instinct, do NOT connect it to Ubuntu 8.10. This will result in data corruption of the media card which can only be repaired by reformatting via windows.

Steps to reproduce:
1- attach phone to machine running ubuntu 8.10
2- attach phone to machine running windows (I'm using and up-to-date build of XP)
3- attempt to write a file to the media card (I tried to copy a music file)
4- BSOD

This fails consistently. Reformatting the card to fat32 via windows fixes the problem (at the expense of whatever data you had on the card). Reading the card from windows does not cause a BSOD, only writing.

Options if you have an Instinct:
1- Downgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 if you are running 8.10 (I will not be connecting to any more 8.10 machines until there is some positive progress on the bug in launchpad (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-mount/+bug/299628)). Fortunately I have a machine running 8.04 both at home and work to use for accessing data from the media card and charging the phone.

2- *gasp* access the phone/card via windows. Yeah, I know.

hotani
January 6th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I have avoided this problem so far by reverting to 8.04. This morning however, plugging the phone into my 8.04 equipped laptop produces nothing. The phone is charging, but I get no love on the computer side. *sigh*

evilaim
January 29th, 2009, 03:41 PM
This is probably a really late reply, but just for anyone who has the same question. The Samsung instinct really isn't all that great. It has minimal usages, such as it isn't a data phone such as the iphone. The main advantage, if not the only one, is that you don't need a phone plan to use it. You can just go pay and go.

The phone is sorta like the iphone as in a large touch screen, but a few known issues have arose that the iphone would never run into, such as power management. The Instinct some time goes into sleep mode and when reinitialized won't pass the key lock screen. It's very annoying some times.

If I were you, and I had my choice again, I'd go with the Iphone, it's better made and has a lot more features. Plus, women only know Iphones;) giggity.

Hope this helps.

domokunrox
January 29th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I heard good things about this phone, but iPhone killer? I heard it wasn't that.

mina299
June 11th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I have avoided this problem so far by reverting to 8.04. This morning however, plugging the phone into my 8.04 equipped laptop produces nothing. The phone is charging, but I get no love on the computer side. *sigh*

Hey, Hotani, did you find a solution to this problem? I just tried this today and I have the same result as you! I have 8.10 on my Toshiba laptop (I know). What can I do to connect?

huffy318
June 12th, 2009, 03:18 AM
I haven't been able to connect with Ubuntu or Windows.

It happened around the time i up'd to 8.10. I suspect it might be some sort of formatting issue, since i had to reformat the card.

I can read & write to it fine with a card reader, and it works in the phone (photos stored properly, etc), but can't connect with usb.

Simfan147
June 12th, 2009, 05:08 AM
I heard good things about this phone, but iPhone killer? I heard it wasn't that.

It's not at all. When it gets an app for everything then we can at least think about. But in all it's a great phone.

tuckersaspy
November 3rd, 2009, 04:07 AM
has anyone been successful in setting it up as a mobile modem? i know people that do on windows but i cant find anything on the net for ubuntu/linux support

IkeRay
February 24th, 2010, 12:05 AM
This is probably a really late reply, but just for anyone who has the same question. The Samsung instinct really isn't all that great. It has minimal usages, such as it isn't a data phone such as the iphone. The main advantage, if not the only one, is that you don't need a phone plan to use it. You can just go pay and go.

The phone is sorta like the iphone as in a large touch screen, but a few known issues have arose that the iphone would never run into, such as power management. The Instinct some time goes into sleep mode and when reinitialized won't pass the key lock screen. It's very annoying some times.

If I were you, and I had my choice again, I'd go with the Iphone, it's better made and has a lot more features. Plus, women only know Iphones;) giggity.

Hope this helps.

I don't know what you're smoking. the Instinct is far and wide better than the first iPhone was including you can get all the features for <$80 for a single user or $125 for a 2 person (family) plan, including unlimited mobile (any provider). secondly, it PAM's on windows and mac easily, lets see you do that on a locked (non-jailbroken) iPhone.

another huge plus over the iPhone (even the current) is the speed. when used on the phone network, its easily twice as fast as the newest, 3 times faster than the original (I've tested this).

as for the power issue, that issue ran for maybe 30 days (and people returned their phones as sprint is good about this), but they don't have issues anymore. its also a huge perk to have 2 batteries and an external charger. my battery lasts for more than a day and I watch 30-60 minutes of TV per day and listen to music for 60 minutes or so, plus 30+ minutes talk time and 100+ texts.

finally, and most importantly, the phone is first and foremost a phone, unlike previous generation iPhones, samsung realized people would be using this for calling and texting primarily (MMS, SMS) and thus this phone was sending picture mail way before apple finally integrated it into their phone.

sorry to rant, I'm just tired of people bashing this phone. compared to the iPhone price-wise, it is leaps and bounds better, plus you get on a more reliable network (sprint). I paid, when new (almost 2 years ago) $75 after rebates, sprint gave $75 loyalty credit, thus a free phone (plus tax on $250); my brother bought an iPhone (first gen) at the same time and paid more than $400...I'd gladly upgrade to the second gen Instinct, (M850 not the S30), but Sprint is being stingy on the price, still listed at $200 ($250 from Best Buy), and thats WITH a contract and $100 MIR. though I'm already eligible (after 12 months) and have another $75 loyalty credit :).

It's not at all. When it gets an app for everything then we can at least think about. But in all it's a great phone.

this is the flaw. sprint promised apps, samsung trusted sprint to produce, phone flopped because of this. there are great 3rd party apps created, and being an open source phone, they can integrate with normal phone functions (like call, calendar, email, etc).

has anyone been successful in setting it up as a mobile modem? i know people that do on windows but i cant find anything on the net for ubuntu/linux support

no success on ubuntu, I can't even get the phone to mount in 9.04 (jaunty), I've used it to PAM on windows plenty and Jaunty is set up for sprint mobile connection (mobile broadband under network connections) but I can't get the phone to show up.

IkeRay
February 25th, 2010, 07:12 AM
no success on ubuntu, I can't even get the phone to mount in 9.04 (jaunty), I've used it to PAM on windows plenty and Jaunty is set up for sprint mobile connection (mobile broadband under network connections) but I can't get the phone to show up.

just to update...I played around with it a little more today as ATT is being slow (500kbps instead of my paid 6000kbps).

network connections, mobile broadband tab, select sprint (leave username and password blank, leave #777 as number).

plug in instinct and [disconnect] from computer. dial ##debugmenu# [##332846368#], must have MSL (call sprint and they'll give it to you), toggle Modem NAI off, click done.

change network at bottom to Sprint and watch it dial in. phone will go "idle" back into contacts screen, but you're still connected. in fact I'm on it right now. still can't get it to mount to access files.

per speak easy speed test:

Download Speed: 406 kbps (50.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 268 kbps (33.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

good enough for when you're in desperate need of internet