PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Puzzled

daggerx
June 23rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
I connect to every network that I attempt to connect to accept for my church network. My church network is verizon DSL. As the admin of my church, its weird that everyone can connect via windows (wifi) and I can to but when I try to use my ubuntu to connect it cycles and does not connect at all.

so here's what I got, I'm gonna assume as a noob that is information is what you need to see if my card is setup properly. Since I can connect everywhere else, this is weird to me:

*-pci:1
description: PCI bridge
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1c.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.1
version: 02
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pci pciexpress msi pm normal_decode bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=pcieport-driver
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: BCM4310 USB Controller
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:0b:00.0
logical name: eth1
version: 01
serial: 00:1f:e1:0f:ea:5c
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl latency=0 module=wl multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg

If not I attached the lshw results (I feel like I know what I'm talking about right now :))

At home, I have a hidden ssid and running WPA2+AES for my laptop (1525). Open school networks (I connect no problem).

Would an IP conflict cause me to "not connect" even though the church is DHCP. Please advise and thanks.

plewisfdx
June 23rd, 2008, 03:57 PM
I think since you can connect at home using wpa2 on ubuntu (correct?) that your card is setup properly.

Re-check your wifi settings on the ubuntu side at your church.

Ubuntu & Vista both work at home.

Vista works / Ubuntu doesn't work at church. Right?

What router, wep/wpa, at church?

What wifi manager are you using on ubuntu? wireless-manager is default.

daggerx
June 23rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
I think since you can connect at home using wpa2 on ubuntu (correct?) that your card is setup properly.

Re-check your wifi settings on the ubuntu side at your church.

Ubuntu & Vista both work at home.

Vista works / Ubuntu doesn't work at church. Right?

What router, wep/wpa, at church?

What wifi manager are you using on ubuntu? wireless-manager is default.

Yes - Ubuntu & Vista both work at home.

Vista works / Ubuntu doesn't work at church. Right? Correct.

What router, wep/wpa, at church? WPA

What wifi manager are you using on ubuntu? wireless-manager is default. Default, is there a better one?

Thanks.

daggerx
June 26th, 2008, 01:12 PM
The router is a Westell 327W, not sure if there is an firmware upgrade for it or anything. I recently ( May 2008 ) setup someone's home with wifi and they also have a 327W and I connected via linux no problem. Could this be a firmware issue?

plewisfdx
June 26th, 2008, 11:24 PM
The router is a Westell 327W, not sure if there is an firmware upgrade for it or anything. I recently ( May 2008 ) setup someone's home with wifi and they also have a 327W and I connected via linux no problem. Could this be a firmware issue?

Probably not, I wanted to know so I could look into the settings for that router.

In your original post you asked "would an IP conflict cause problems," and the answer is yes. If your ubuntu is set to a static IP that is already issued to someone, it would either not connect, or cause connection/packet problems.

I asked which wifi manager you used because your /etc/network/interfaces will be nearly blank if you use network manager or similar. I just switched to wicd (http://wicd.sourceforge.net/wiki/doku.php?id=faq&DokuWiki=7cb26d9d88e07d3559b53cd52d123af4) if you want to try another one. I was sick of the prompts for keyring password.

You said it "cycles and doesn't connect" so that means you can "see" the network, but not connect, right?

Try this at church in a terminal:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

and watch the dhcp and paste the output.

daggerx
June 30th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I should be there on wednesday, and I will try this (I hope I remember) still no go with linux at the church but I will try that in the terminal and save it to paste it here...

I concluded that it is the router since i can connect everywhere else - including a router identical to the one at the church.