PDA

View Full Version : Now I´m going to learn English...

N3X0NIC
June 23rd, 2008, 01:57 PM
Hi there!

I´m Immanuel from Germany and because I can´t speak English very well, I´m now going to learn it by using ubuntuforums.org
Usually I´m a member in the ubuntuusers (http://forum.ubuntuusers.de) forum.

I hope my English will be better soon and you will help me to learn.
So please correct any mistakes in my posts ;-)

Regards
Immanuel

cespinal
June 23rd, 2008, 02:08 PM
Hey there! Your english seems to be all good!.

English is not my native language either s I find these forums a great way of improving my skills, just like you!

welcome to the forums!

PD: Please win the Euro Semifinals!!!!!!!!!

Fedz
June 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
welcome to the forums!

+1 to welcome and the Euro Semifinals =D>

madjr
June 23rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
cool

N3X0NIC
June 23rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
Hey, thanks for your welcome!

We will ;)

sharkinfested
June 23rd, 2008, 02:38 PM
Any corrections should be in British English, and not American English. Since the OP is from Germany, British English is the preferred dialect.

mips
June 23rd, 2008, 02:59 PM
Any corrections should be in British English, and not American English. Since the OP is from Germany, British English is the preferred dialect.

:lolflag:

I still tend to think Americans speak American and not English like the rest of the world or UK.

NovaAesa
June 23rd, 2008, 04:15 PM
You said to correct any mistakes so here I go (I could only see one):

You seem to be using "`" instead of "'".
In English there is a very big difference.

cespinal
June 23rd, 2008, 04:17 PM
Me speekzzz American!

N3X0NIC
June 23rd, 2008, 04:17 PM
You said to correct any mistakes so here I go (I could only see one):

You seem to be using "`" instead of "'".
In English there is a very big difference.

Thanks, I will remember it.

fatality_uk
June 23rd, 2008, 04:20 PM
I assume you meant to type Whoops! :lol:

Eisenwinter
June 23rd, 2008, 04:22 PM
The Internet has taught me English also.
I've been hanging around on IRC since I was 13, I'm 19 now, and most English speakers I meet don't know it's not my native language.

I do have some problems though, I know the computer meanings of many words, so if I hear those in a sentence not related to computers, it can take me a few seconds to understand the meaning :lolflag:

LaRoza
June 23rd, 2008, 05:36 PM

The differences aren't that great. When learning German, I didn't find learning minor local differences all that hard.

I still tend to think Americans speak American and not English like the rest of the world or UK.

Americans actually speak a somewhat purer form of English I think. The American English is uniform throughout the entire nation, whereas England has big differences in different areas. I have heard Australians, Indians, Canadians, and the English speak English. As a whole, it is the same language.

N3X0NIC
June 23rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
I think I have to change my Ubuntu-System-Language, too :-D

Woormy
June 23rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
:lolflag:

250 years ago, Americans and Britons spoke and spelled pretty much the same. It's the Britons who have changed the most over the years, and often due to French influence. Both used to write labor and center but Britain has adopted the more French labour and centre.

En(US) language pack spell check has flagged both of those latter spellings.

sharkinfested
June 23rd, 2008, 06:51 PM
Hum.. I got edited there because of a perceived insult to Americans.
I should point out that I am an American and I was acknowledging a sad fact that the proper use of the English language has slipped greatly in this country - I’m not talking dialect either. For the student of the English language it is my option that they take lessons from a group that, as a whole, speaks proper English.

If you want to speak American then listen to us! :)

mips
June 23rd, 2008, 06:53 PM
250 years ago, Americans and Britons spoke and spelled pretty much the same. It's the Britons who have changed the most over the years, and often due to French influence. Both used to write labor and center but Britain has adopted the more French labour and centre.

You are 100% correct there. UK & international english has moved forward where USA english stayed pretty much the same. Probably has to do with the great atlantic devide and the fact that the US & UK did not see eye to eye since their wars.

BLTicklemonster
June 23rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Once ya'll git it figgered out, wouldja come over here an' teach us'ns?

fiddledd
June 23rd, 2008, 07:19 PM

En(US) language pack spell check has flagged both of those latter spellings.

I think you'll find a great deal of the English Language comes from the French (the Normans I think). Every word that ends in "tion" comes from French (station institution etc) and a lot more besides. Even sailors call for help in French "May day" is from the French for help me "m'aide" (excuse the spelling, I've not been learning French long). Also the French word for bad "mal" crops up a lot in English, "malformed" "malaise" "malcontent" etc etc. Just thought I'd share that with you. :)

LaRoza
June 23rd, 2008, 07:20 PM

Awright geeezzaa! You can also learn "English English" if yew wan' ter be like da British. Sorted mate.

http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/rabbit

"You can also learn "English English" if you want to be like the British."

LaRoza
June 23rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
Also the French word for bad "mal" crops up a lot in English, "malformed" "malaise" "malcontent" etc etc. Just thought I'd share that with you. :)

You mean the Latin word for bad ;)

fiddledd
June 23rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
You mean the Latin word for bad ;)

Well I learned something new today, I thought it was directly from French. :)

misterhead
June 23rd, 2008, 07:36 PM
Awright geeezzaa! You can also learn "English English" if yew wan' ter be like da British. Sorted mate.

http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/rabbit

"You can also learn "English English" if you want to be like the British."

Nah, Nah, Dawg... Ya see, wut had happnd wuz....

Sinkingships7
June 23rd, 2008, 07:43 PM
I lol'd

LaRoza
June 23rd, 2008, 07:43 PM
I lol'd

@OP Don't learn this kind of English....

-grubby
June 23rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
Though I appear late to the thread I must say your english is better than some english speakers I have seen (note the lol above being used 5 times in a sentence)

N3X0NIC
June 23rd, 2008, 07:56 PM

No, I wont...
but for what does the abbreviation¹ "OP" stand for :confused:

¹is "abbreviation" the right vocabulary in this case?

misterhead
June 23rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
Better yet... Why is "abbreviation" such a long word, in the first place?

LaRoza
June 23rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
No, I wont...

"won't".

"Original Post(er)". It means the person who started the thread.

Yes, abbreviation is correct, although I would have said "Is abbreviation the right word in this case?"

N3X0NIC
June 23rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
"won't".

Yes, abbreviation is correct, although I would have said "Is abbreviation the right word in this case?"

Ok, I thought it was something like "threadstarter" because in German it's "TE" for "Threadersteller"...

LaRoza
June 23rd, 2008, 08:18 PM
Ok, I thought it was something like "threadstarter" because in German it's "TE" for "Threadersteller"...

That is what it means.

If you see any abbreviations you don't know, just ask :-)

People use them without thinking.

xebian
June 23rd, 2008, 08:19 PM
No, I wont...

OP is 'Original Poster' - the person who started the thread.

BTW (by the way) English is classified as a Germanic language?

Schumacher == Shoemaker

A good place is YouTube.

LaRoza
June 23rd, 2008, 08:20 PM

English is an Indo-European, West Germanic language

übrigens == "By the way"

mips
June 23rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Well I learned something new today, I thought it was directly from French. :)

Well French, Italian, Spanish etc has much of their roots in latin. Or is that vulgar latin?

N3X0NIC
June 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
OP is 'Original Poster' - the person who started the thread.

Schumacher == Shoemaker

A good place is YouTube.

Well, some of this abbreviations we use in Germany,too.
btw, afaik, ...

And there are many other words which are similar
book - Buch
bed - Bett

Sinkingships7
June 23rd, 2008, 08:39 PM

I second that statement.

Stefanie
June 23rd, 2008, 09:00 PM
As a linguist, I'd say: learn every variety of English you can. It's useless to make a distinction between "proper" English and "bad" English. That won't help you if you really want to master the language. You have to become familiar with all kinds of English, but always remember the context they should be used in. "I lol'ed" is quite common on internet fora, but you don't want to write that in an essay. You should make a distinction between written and spoken language and between formal and informal English. That's how you can become a near-native speaker, you have to know which variety is the most appropriate in any given context.

lisati
June 23rd, 2008, 09:05 PM

+1: That suits me too, being from "the colonies" here "down under" in New Zealand.

lisati
June 23rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
Americans actually speak a somewhat purer form of English I think.
:) Well, the word "English" relates to things from England, doesn't it? But I don't think we need to get into a major fight about it......

"won't".

I was taught that "Won't" and other words like it is called a "contraction". ("Abbreviation" is good too)

_DD_
June 23rd, 2008, 09:12 PM
250 years ago, Americans and Britons spoke and spelled pretty much the same.

See, I'd use spelt

lisati
June 23rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
See, I'd use spelt
The difference between "spelt" and "spelled" used to confuse the (swear words deleted) out of me at school

_DD_
June 23rd, 2008, 09:28 PM
The difference between "spelt" and "spelled" used to confuse the (swear words deleted) out of me at school

From what I've read there is no difference, its just another variation. I also always use 'learnt' rather than 'learned' - isn't a learned (learn-ed) someone with profound knowledge!?

Anyway, this says it..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_irregular_verbs

In many cases ... American English uses the regular form, while British English tends to favor the irregular.

LaRoza
June 23rd, 2008, 09:35 PM
:) Well, the word "English" relates to things from England, doesn't it? But I don't think we need to get into a major fight about it......

I was taught that "Won't" and other words like it is called a "contraction". ("Abbreviation" is good too)

In that case, you'll have to change the name of England for being inconvenient ;)

I was referring to "OP" as an abbreviation.

Frak
June 23rd, 2008, 09:39 PM
yarly

_DD_
June 23rd, 2008, 09:39 PM
book - Buch
bed - Bett

I've been learning German for a few years, although I'm far from fluent!

Its great when words are similar however this can sometimes mislead you. Take, for example, the German word "chef"... in English a chef is someone that cooks (der Küchenmeister!), however the word actually means Boss or Director. Not a mistake to make on a business trip :D!

I love how quite a lot of German words are very logically built from smaller words. A lot English words are also constructed from other words, however they are often words which are from other languages or no longer in common use. In the end they and don't quite have the same flare as some of the German words.

Krankenwagen makes so much more sense than Ambulance.
Büstenhalter is just a cool word.

DrMega
June 23rd, 2008, 09:43 PM
Hi there!

I´m Immanuel from Germany and because I can´t speak English very well, I´m now going to learn it by using ubuntuforums.org
Usually I´m a member in the ubuntuusers (http://forum.ubuntuusers.de) forum.

I hope my English will be better soon and you will help me to learn.
So please correct any mistakes in my posts ;-)

Regards
Immanuel

Good luck, you'll need it if you use these forums to learn English. The spelling and in some cases the grammar on here can be somewhat lacking:)

Kingsley
June 23rd, 2008, 10:16 PM
Funnily enough, I sometimes use the ubuntuusers forum to practice a bit of German. I can read most of what you guys type, but I always lock up when I want to post something.

Herzlichen willkommen zu dem Forum. Hoffentlich kannst du deine English-Kenntnisse verbessern!

grossaffe
June 23rd, 2008, 10:26 PM
Deine English ist gut. Sehr Besser als Meine Deusche. (Hab Ich dass stimpte sagen?)

N3X0NIC
June 23rd, 2008, 11:18 PM
Funnily enough, I sometimes use the ubuntuusers forum to practice a bit of German. I can read most of what you guys type, but I always lock up when I want to post something.

Herzlichen willkommen zu dem Forum. Hoffentlich kannst du deine English-Kenntnisse verbessern!
It's "Herzlich Willkommen in dem Forum"

Und im Deutschen wird "English" mit "sch" geschrieben:
"Englisch"

Deine English ist gut. Sehr Besser als Meine Deusche. (Hab Ich dass stimpte sagen?)
Fast richtig!

Completly correct would be:
"Dein Englisch ist gut, besser als mein Deutsch. (Habe ich das richtig gesagt?)

I never thought that some of you could speak German.
Is German a subject in English schools or is it optional?

Frak
June 23rd, 2008, 11:23 PM
It's "Herzlich Willkommen in dem Forum"

Und im Deutschen wird "English" mit "sch" geschrieben:
"Englisch"

Fast richtig!

Optional

In many states of the Union it was a requirement to learn 2 foreign languages, but its almost gone now.

LaRoza
June 24th, 2008, 12:13 AM

Many can to some degree, but in the USA, there is little room to use it.

Learning languages is common in high school.

Lostincyberspace
June 24th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I've been learning German for a few years, although I'm far from fluent!

Its great when words are similar however this can sometimes mislead you. Take, for example, the German word "chef"... in English a chef is someone that cooks (der Küchenmeister!), however the word actually means Boss or Director. Not a mistake to make on a business trip :D!

I love how quite a lot of German words are very logically built from smaller words. A lot English words are also constructed from other words, however they are often words which are from other languages or no longer in common use. In the end they and don't quite have the same flare as some of the German words.

Krankenwagen makes so much more sense than Ambulance.
Büstenhalter is just a cool word.
That is the same in french where the english and german words both come from.

Lostincyberspace
June 24th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Where I started high school learning German was popular (very popular they had to higher 2 more teachers to be able fill everyone) so i decided to take German and then I moved to where I live now and there was no one taking German, I mean there was six people in the whole school, but I continued with it since I would get more one on one hel learning.

One thing is in English don't create compound words ever in German it is acceptible but in English it is really childish.

grossaffe
June 24th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Fast richtig!

German is an optional class. In the high school I went to, there were three kinds of diplomas. There was a standard diploma - nothing special. Then there was the Advanced Diploma, which required at least 3 years of one foreign language of choice - I chose German (but its been a few years since I've used it), but most people take Spanish. And then there's the AP Diploma which required that you take and pass a certain number of College (University) level classes.