PDA

View Full Version : wondering what IT jobs might be suitable for a ubuntu geek

kraymore
June 23rd, 2008, 08:22 AM
I am curious what IT jobs might be suitable for a somewhat seasoned Ubuntu geek with some degree of job security for the future?

I have never worked in the IT field but given the fact that I spend so much time and effort working with computers, it seems the most logical thing for me to do is to seek a computer related job. I realize jobs are scarce these days, so anyone have any suggestions for jobs with perhaps maybe a little bit of long term job security ?

bigbrovar
June 23rd, 2008, 09:25 AM
kraymore
wondering what IT jobs might be suitable for a ubuntu geek
I am curious what IT jobs might be suitable for a somewhat seasoned Ubuntu geek with some degree of job security for the future?

I have never worked in the IT field but given the fact that I spend so much time and effort working with computers, it seems the most logical thing for me to do is to seek a computer related job. I realize jobs are scarce these days, so anyone have any suggestions for jobs with perhaps maybe a little bit of long term job security ?
well i got one recently .. at the african university of science and technology .. all their desktop and latops given to student run ubuntu .. so while their IT consultant was searching the net for a problem he had on ubuntu .. google to him to a blog (http://ubuntunigeria.wordpress.com) i maintain for a loco i helped formed in Nigeria .. he followed the guide there .. didnt quite work so he called my number which was listed beside my post .. we chatted and i helped him sort out the issue .. next the asked if i would like to work in the university i said ..hell yeah .. so i went for the interview and i was picked ... its a contract for a year.. doing basically what i enjoy doing .. i was given free accommodation with all the convinces ,free food,free laptop,free desktop... plus i get to use the gym,swimming pool,tennis court if i want to... the internet is also free i control it BTW... all this for a guy who start using ubuntu last year and who has formal IT qualification i read law in school .. but there liked my passion and the fact that i have a very good knowledge of the linux desktop .. i wouldnt have gotten this job if i used windows ..

madjr
June 23rd, 2008, 10:36 AM
well i got one recently .. at the african university of science and technology .. all their desktop and latops given to student run ubuntu .. so while their IT consultant was searching the net for a problem he had on ubuntu .. google to him to a blog (http://ubuntunigeria.wordpress.com) i maintain for a loco i helped formed in Nigeria .. he followed the guide there .. didnt quite work so he called my number which was listed beside my post .. we chatted and i helped him sort out the issue .. next the asked if i would like to work in the university i said ..hell yeah .. so i went for the interview and i was picked ... its a contract for a year.. doing basically what i enjoy doing .. i was given free accommodation with all the convinces ,free food,free laptop,free desktop... plus i get to use the gym,swimming pool,tennis court if i want to... the internet is also free i control it BTW... all this for a guy who start using ubuntu last year and who has formal IT qualification i read law in school .. but there liked my passion and the fact that i have a very good knowledge of the linux desktop .. i wouldnt have gotten this job if i used windows ..

awesome, i hope i can get 1 like that :o

BDNiner
June 23rd, 2008, 10:52 AM
Any job is great so long as it is a linux friendly company. that way when you get started out and help desk or desktop support you don't don't go crazy. at my job we support windows environment but we are allowed to use whatever OS we want for our work computer so i run ubuntu.

kraymore
June 23rd, 2008, 11:08 AM
Any job is great so long as it is a linux friendly company. that way when you get started out and help desk or desktop support you don't don't go crazy. at my job we support windows environment but we are allowed to use whatever OS we want for our work computer so i run ubuntu.

how does a person start to find these jobs though and what IT positions have potential for long term security?

I am a happy ubuntu user. ideally i would want to continue to work using ubuntu. if i had to support windows though, that wouldn't be ideal, though its better than not having a job at all. i am very much interested in what aspects of the IT field are employable to people who are just starting off in IT and has some potential for long term job security?