PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless connection keeps going bad

eris2305
June 23rd, 2008, 07:43 AM
I've recently made the switch over to linux via ubuntu 8.04 and so far my only issue is my internet connection. I'm using a Linksys wireless USB model WUSB54GC and when I first boot up it's recognized and I can get right on the internet just fine. However, within about five minutes I'm down to a crawl or unable to get anything at all though it's still showing a very stong connection on the meter at the top of the screen. Any idea why this might be and how I might correct it? I have not installed NDISwrapper as it appeared I didn't need to as I get a great connection upon first starting, it just rapidly deteriates to nothing. :( :confused:

buccaneere
June 23rd, 2008, 08:01 AM
one of the stickys, or one of the megamulti-hit threads said this was a problem, depending on which hardware driver you use for your card...

Can't remember which one it is

ArgyBargy
June 23rd, 2008, 09:59 PM
Im experiencing exactly the same problem. Ive tried the linux drivers and windows drivers under ndiswrapper.

Card is Encore ENPWI-G2
Chipset rtl-8185
System is xubuntu 8.04
kernel version is 2.6.24-19-generic

I have been trying to get this thing working for over a month. When I install it works fine for 5 or 10 minutes and then dies.

Sometimes when I power up in the morning when everything is cold it also works fine until warm when it dies again.

help!

eris2305
June 24th, 2008, 07:27 AM
one of the stickys, or one of the megamulti-hit threads said this was a problem, depending on which hardware driver you use for your card...

Can't remember which one it is

Don't see it in the stickies, and I do see some megamulti-hit threads that discuss similar situations. Most of them seem to be about no connection at all. I am showing a great connection, it's just the reality of the situation is a painfully slow connection or none at all. So, in the end, many people with the same or similar issues, but I've yet to find a thread with a solution. Perhaps a different distribution is in order.

ArgyBargy
June 25th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I have tried my Encore ENPWI-G2 pcmcia wifi card under xubuntu with linux and windows drivers. I even installed windows xp (:oops:sorry, but just testing!) on the laptop and the same problem of the connection working for 5 minutes and then it dies happens.

I believe that the card has a hardware fault. But is there some way to test this?

eris2305, Maybe you could try to test your card under another operating system to see if it works. At least then I suppose it eliminates ubuntu to be the problem.