PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one annoyed by Update Manager's stealing of focus?

KenBW2
June 23rd, 2008, 12:15 AM
And that goes for its flashing orange in the window list when all it's doing is switching to installing.

markp1989
June 23rd, 2008, 12:20 AM
yes it anoys me aswell

LaRoza
June 23rd, 2008, 12:26 AM
And that goes for its flashing orange in the window list when all it's doing is switching to installing.

Beats me, I don't use it.

I do everything (package managing and upgrading wise) in the terminal where I don't have a GUI to bug me.

KenBW2
June 23rd, 2008, 12:29 AM
@LaRoza

How do you know when updates are available then?

LaRoza
June 23rd, 2008, 12:30 AM
@LaRoza

How do you know when updates are available then?

I use aliases.

alias upgrade='sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get clean'

KenBW2
June 23rd, 2008, 12:32 AM
No, I mean how in GUI-based upgrades you get the orange star. You wouldn't get that in CLI unless you specifically checked...

Barrucadu
June 23rd, 2008, 12:34 AM
Is there anything so hard about checking once a day for updates?

LaRoza
June 23rd, 2008, 12:34 AM
No, I mean how in GUI-based upgrades you get the orange star. You wouldn't get that in CLI unless you specifically checked...

Yes, that is the point. I don't have my computer bugging me when I am using it.

KenBW2
June 23rd, 2008, 12:39 AM
Well, I wouldn't say no to a "oh by* the way, theres updates available. Carry on". Mind you, I could use the star as that.

*RAR! It did it again!

FranMichaels
June 23rd, 2008, 01:13 AM
System -> Preferences -> Administration -> Software Sources

Updates tab

Automatic Updates. You can tweak the behavior there.
Download all updates in the background sounds like what you want I think.

Or be old school like LaRoza and go with good old fashioned apt-get update.

It's worth mentioning I use awn so I don't have the window list panel thing... And I do love the CLI, especially for compiles, but I look forward to seeing the little update thing in the gnome-panel notification area... ;) It's like, "Hey, your system is getting something new!"

Mateo
June 23rd, 2008, 01:16 AM
Agreed; hate that.

bikeboy
June 23rd, 2008, 03:13 AM
Those of you using Compiz on Hardy can try different levels of Focus Prevention. It's under the General options in CCSM. By default it's low.