PDA

View Full Version : Test Deluge 0.6 (Hardy Repo Open)

zachtib
June 23rd, 2008, 12:13 AM
I've got a repo open for nightly builds of Deluge 0.6. For those of you that don't know, 0.6 is a complete rewrite of the client. It adds support for client/daemon mode, meaning the interface can run on a different computer than the backend. The user interface has also been redesigned. While I'm no longer one of the developers, I have to say I'm very happy with the progress the project has made with this release. :)

http://launchpad.net/~zachtib/+archive

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/zachtib/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/zachtib/ubuntu hardy main

Ub1476
June 23rd, 2008, 12:15 AM
Wow, that's awesome! I most admit that the previous design was a bit akward, things got a bit in the way of each other.

I think it's time to compile this. Do I have to remove ~/.config/.deluge first?

Kingsley
June 23rd, 2008, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the picture uploads. Now I'm interested in buiding 0.6 on my Fedora install. :D

mivo
June 23rd, 2008, 12:28 AM
How stable are the builds currently?

Barrucadu
June 23rd, 2008, 12:32 AM
It is very nice, I've got the deluge-0.6-svn package installed on Arch and it seems completely stable.

zachtib
June 23rd, 2008, 12:36 AM
Wow, that's awesome! I most admit that the previous design was a bit akward, things got a bit in the way of each other.

I think it's time to compile this. Do I have to remove ~/.config/.deluge first?

I didn't have to

How stable are the builds currently?

I'm running it fine, I've only downloaded one Ubuntu ISO so far, though. It's nearing RC stages, though, so it's pretty solid

pt123
June 23rd, 2008, 04:13 AM
does it have the ability of blocking peers using right click as in Ktorrent?

ghindo
June 23rd, 2008, 04:40 AM
It sounds stable, but I may wait for 0.6.1. When are they supposed to have a CLI client, again?

zachtib
June 23rd, 2008, 05:27 AM
It sounds stable, but I may wait for 0.6.1. When are they supposed to have a CLI client, again?

There's one now, kinda, start deluge 0.6:

deluge -u null
to start the deluge shell. There's also a commandline client in development here:
http://code.google.com/p/python-gnt/

EDIT: Screenshots: http://pidgin.im/~sadrul/ss/apps.html

kpkeerthi
June 23rd, 2008, 06:47 AM
Deluge has come a long way, I should say. Thanks for posting this. I will wait for 0.6 final, though.

vishzilla
June 23rd, 2008, 07:37 AM
This one's needed for the Linux community. I hope 0.6 satisfies ppl who complain "will Linux ever have a decent torrent client" (I'm not one of 'em ;))

I too will wait for the final

Ub1476
June 23rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
I have some problem with this version..

When I press "Start Daemon" or "Connect", it just crashes. It's the default settings, localhost:58846.

Installed from Arch AUR, like another guy in this thread did.

[DEBUG ] 00:21:31 configmanager:88 Getting config 'hostlist.conf'
[DEBUG ] 00:21:31 config:47 Config created with filename: hostlist.conf
[DEBUG ] 00:21:31 config:48 Config defaults: {'hosts': ['localhost:58846']}
[DEBUG ] 00:21:31 configmanager:88 Getting config 'gtkui.conf'
[DEBUG ] 00:21:31 connectionmanager:495 on_selection_changed
[DEBUG ] 00:21:32 config:117 Setting 'window_pane_position' to 301 of <type 'int'>
[DEBUG ] 00:21:39 connectionmanager:393 on_button_startdaemon_clicked
[INFO ] 00:21:39 connectionmanager:423 Starting localhost:58846 daemon..
[DEBUG ] 00:21:44 connectionmanager:432 on_button_connect_clicked
[WARNING ] 00:21:44 connectionmanager:455 Host does not appear to be online..
[INFO ] 00:21:44 connectionmanager:423 Starting localhost:58846 daemon..

olskar
June 23rd, 2008, 11:26 PM
Come on people, try it and look for bugs! Its better to find them now then in final release, right? ;)

Worked good for me btw!

When can we except final?

banjobacon
June 24th, 2008, 12:07 AM
I don't like that I'm greeted with a connection manager upon opening the program. Similarly, I'm not a fan of the two "Quit" items in the file menu. Shouldn't the daemon/client setup should be an advanced feature that doesn't interfere with how most people will use the program?

zachtib
June 24th, 2008, 03:35 AM
I don't like that I'm greeted with a connection manager upon opening the program. Similarly, I'm not a fan of the two "Quit" items in the file menu. Shouldn't the daemon/client setup should be an advanced feature that doesn't interfere with how most people will use the program?

If you expand the options in the connection dialog you can change this. Also, you can enable "classic" mode in the preferences dialog to have it behave like the old client.

Just uploaded a new version, 0.6~svn3276

EDIT:

When can we except final?

I'm not sure, but andar seemed to imply they were nearing RC stages.

zachtib
June 24th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Bumping this up,

Please test and submit bugs

etnlIcarus
June 25th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Question: With most stats being moved from the Details tab to the Statistics tab, what's left on the Details tab? Is there still a graphic displaying which pieces have been downloaded?

zachtib
June 26th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Question: With most stats being moved from the Details tab to the Statistics tab, what's left on the Details tab? Is there still a graphic displaying which pieces have been downloaded?

not at the moment, though it could still be added in, or in a future release like 0.6.1

barbedsaber
June 26th, 2008, 06:03 AM
oooh, new deluge. brb. :)

mivo
June 29th, 2008, 05:55 PM
OK; I switched to this version as well since 0.5.9.2 and 0.5.9.3 do not correctly save checksums and I just lost several gigs of downloaded data that neither Deluge nor any other client recognises (due to the checksum proble (http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7055)m). This bug only occurs if a torrent needs to be rechecked or was moved, but it's severe and losing over a week of downloaded data is just bad. There have been issues and bugs of this type with the 0.5.x branch for several "stable" releases now. It's unusable for me since a torrent client just shouldn't lose gigs of data. So I'll give 0.6.0 a try since I don't really like any of the other clients all that much.

EDIT: Actually, 0.6.0 as of today suffers from the same checksum problem, so it too will lose data if you recheck or try to move the data and reload it. Can easily test this (without losing anything) by looking at the "total download" percentage of a torrent and then at the individual completion rate of the individual file. Easier to see if there is only one big file in the torrent, so for example you'll see that the torrent is 30% completed, but the individual file, which is all the torrent consists of, is only completed 2%. If you recheck now, or import the data into another client, you will start again at 2%. The discrepancy becomes smaller to the end of the download.

So Deluge in any recent version is currently unusable for any larger torrent downloads that may require you to recheck the data. (Rechecking is not the actual problem, the problem is that the checksums are not or incorrectly stored, as far as I can tell.)

smbm
June 29th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Is anyone else finding that port forwarding isn't working with 0.6?

It could just be me, it works flawlessly in 0.5 though.

zekopeko
June 30th, 2008, 01:50 AM
same here

mivo
June 30th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Another issue I had was that 0.6.0 uses 100% of one of my two cores (so 50% of the CPU time).

zachtib
June 30th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Please, don't just post bugs here, go to http://dev.deluge-torrent.org

mrgnash
June 30th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Deluge is by far the best torrent client I have ever used, and 0.6 seems even better :) Thanks!

keiichidono
June 30th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the info, i'll wait for .6 to come out as a final though. :D

apoulos
July 4th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I already have deluge 0.6 installed by svn (sudo python setup.py install). I put your sources in the sources.list and used aptitude to install your package, but it would not overwrite the files already in place.

How do I uninstall the svn version?

wrtpeeps
July 4th, 2008, 07:19 PM
GUI looks amazingly similar to uTorrent. :)

Polygon
July 5th, 2008, 08:03 AM
well, thats what people like. So many people on this forum praise the all holy utorrent and claim that "no other program will come EVEN CLOSE to utorrent"

so trying to emulate what people like is not a bad thing at all

Masoris
July 5th, 2008, 10:00 AM
well, thats what people like. So many people on this forum praise the all holy utorrent and claim that "no other program will come EVEN CLOSE to utorrent"

so trying to emulate what people like is not a bad thing at all
I cannot understand that why some people praise utorrent? Deluge is perfect for me. It also has many very nice plugins :)

pt123
July 5th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Ktorrent is the best, but it doesn't have the "Date Added" feature like Utorrent. There is also noway to search your torrents.

I don't like Deluge because you can't right click and ban a peer (those bloody leechers)

SlugO
July 8th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I have to say that I like 0.6 a lot more than the older versions. It feels less awkward and more robust.

I might even ditch Transmission for this :)

Vadi
July 8th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks for this