PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome not respecting default programs

June 22nd, 2008, 09:00 AM
It seems like Gnome does not respect the default programs I have set to open files. I have installed Acrobat Reader 8.1, and through the properties dialog for some pdf file, I have set Acrobat Reader as the default program to open pdfs.
http://folk.ntnu.no/kopseng/bildegalleri/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4382&g2_serialNumber=1
That works good when browsing with Nautilus, but is seems that other Gnome programs does not respect these file specific settings.

If I download a file through "Save as..." in Firefox, and then double click that file in the "Downloads" window of Firefox, it opens using Evince!

I find this behaviour quite strange, because
grep evince /etc/gnome/defaults.list gives me
application/pdf=evince.desktop
application/postscript=evince.desktop
application/x-gzpostscript=evince.desktop

and .local/share/applications/defaults.list clearly overrides this:
[Default Applications]
application/pdf=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
application/vnd.adobe.xfdf=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
application/vnd.fdf=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
application/vnd.adobe.pdx=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
application/fdf=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
application/xdp=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
application/xfdf=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
application/pdx=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop

and the mime type association is also added in .local/share/applications/mimeapps.list:
[Added Associations]
application/pdf=AdobeReader.desktop;

What can I do to make Firefox (and other programs) respect my settings?

diaa
June 22nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Try the solution I proposed in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=831690)

June 24th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the answer, but your solution will just replace "application/pdf=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop" with "application/pdf=acroreader.desktop" in the defaults.list file.

I did try it out, though, just in case it did some magic I didn't think of in the first place, but unfortunately, no. My biggest problem seems to be that Firefox does not respect the mime type database supplied from Gnome.

June 24th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I found a wealth of information about the mime.cache and defaults.list files here:
http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/fc4_desktop.shtml

Unfortunately nothing that can explain why Firefox does not respect my mime type settings...

September 3rd, 2008, 12:18 PM
I found the solution! I still find that Gnome doesn't respect the hierarchy of the various locations, but that is a bug report for Launchpad. Anyway, here goes.

I searched for other versions of defaults.list, and it seems I missed one:

$ locate defaults.list|xargs ls -l
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 2008-05-31 22:56 /usr/share/applications/defaults.list -> /etc/gnome/defaults.list
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7283 2008-06-24 23:45 /etc/gnome/defaults.list-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 242 2008-08-28 15:01 /usr/local/share/applications/defaults.list
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 242 2008-08-28 15:01 /usr/local/share/applications/defaults.list

I had fond the one in /usr/share (symlinked to /etc/gnome/) and the local one (in ~/.local/...), but had missed the one in /usr/local/share. This for some reason takes presedence over the local one, but by replicating the line in the local version into this file, I could finally click on pdf-files in the downloads panel of Firefox and have them open in Adobe Reader!

So these are know the relevant parts of the various defaults.list files:

locate defaults.list|xargs grep -i --color pdf
/etc/gnome/defaults.list:application/pdf=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop
/usr/local/share/applications/defaults.list:application/pdf=AdobeReader.desktop
/usr/local/share/applications/defaults.list.org:application/pdf=evince.desktop;AdobeReader.desktop
/usr/share/applications/defaults.list:application/pdf=/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop

You can see I renamed the old defaults.list file to defaults.list.org