PDA

View Full Version : AMD Makes a 'Evolutionary Leap' in Linux Support

mrgnash
June 22nd, 2008, 08:01 AM
"Back in September AMD had announced a new ATI Linux driver as well as opening up their GPU specifications, and today they have taken an additional step to better support the Linux OS. With the just-announced Radeon HD 4850 RV770 they have provided same-day Linux support, and the Linux driver is now shipping alongside the Windows driver on their product CDs. In addition, they are encouraging their AIB partners to showcase Tux on the product packaging as a sign of Linux support. Last but certainly not least, AMD is committed from top-to-bottom product support on Linux and they will be introducing high-end features in their Linux driver such as MultiGPU CrossFire technology.

Get the full story here (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_evolution&num=1)

Pretty great news, no? :D

bufsabre666
June 22nd, 2008, 08:07 AM
this makes me happy amd took over ati, i mean its not perfect yet but in comparison to ati before amd took over its miles ahead, ati didnt care about linux, amd does, kinda weird both major cpu companies ((intel and amd)) are both commited to linux, more companies need to follow their example ((im lookin at you broadcom))

jrusso2
June 22nd, 2008, 08:09 AM
The way so many Linux users love AMD its good they are starting to actually do something for Linux.

Eisenwinter
June 22nd, 2008, 08:11 AM
Those are excellent news. Ever since I've tried out AMD, I've prefered it over Intel.

mrgnash
June 22nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
I'm actually a Nvidia/Intel user myself (although far from a loyalist), but I figure that more hardware support for Linux is always a good thing :)

hotweiss
June 22nd, 2008, 08:25 AM
The 4850 is benchmarking really well to, that's the card I would probably get now.

atomkarinca
June 22nd, 2008, 09:45 AM
I guess the best thing is AMD is starting to put the Tux logo on the boxes and including the Linux driver in the CD's. Up until now I badmouthed ATI to everyone I know but it changes now. I have been an AMD user for a long time and now if I change my graphics card it's definitely going to be ATI.

Canis familiaris
June 22nd, 2008, 09:50 AM
Get the full story here (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_evolution&num=1)

Pretty great news, no? :D

That is why I love AMD.

fatality_uk
June 22nd, 2008, 12:05 PM
It's such an exciting time right now for Linux. The "mainstream" are really sitting up and taking notice. Well they don't have much choice really. Linux is making such big strides that to ignore it will be like saying, "The Internet? We are not interested in it", hmm where have I heard that before. :D

Dixon Bainbridge
June 22nd, 2008, 12:11 PM
I know corporations are, in general, complete moneygrabbing bstards, but I'd take AMD over Intel anyday, regardless of relative chip performance. Let's face it, benchmarking and comparing chip speeds only matters for power users in an industrial setting, and 30 year old geeks that still live with their mothers. No one else is really going to be able to tell a peformance difference between the two when all they do is word process and send emails, which, lets face it, is the vast vast majority of home computer use.

Well done AMD.

GSZX1337
June 23rd, 2008, 12:07 AM
This is great news, I've been wanting to get a new video card for a little bit now. Maybe this ease of driver installation and code sharing will attract game studios over to Linux. :)

LaRoza
June 23rd, 2008, 12:09 AM
Doors are opening up, I may end up getting an ATI card in the future for dual monitors (have two monitors already, wanting to get a card to use both at once)

I wouldn't call it "evolutionary", as they are still late in supporting Linux.

maniacmusician
June 23rd, 2008, 12:15 AM
Good news, I suppose. The driver shipping with the CD is, however, closed-source and all.

Since AMD has fully opened the specs for their cards (I think?), does anyone know how well the open source drivers stack up against the proprietary one? And what driver Ubuntu installs on default for ATI cards under Hardy or Intrepid?

mips
June 23rd, 2008, 01:03 AM
Since AMD has fully opened the specs for their cards (I think?), does anyone know how well the open source drivers stack up against the proprietary one?

No idea but I think the saying "Rome was not built in a day" comes to mind here. The OSS drivers are going to take time if one considers the complexities involved.

mips
June 23rd, 2008, 01:05 AM
That is why I love AMD.

Unfortunately they have fallen behind in the CPU race. Two days ago I purchased my first ever Intel processor after years of using AMD :evil:

kevdog
June 23rd, 2008, 01:07 AM
Unfortunately I'm not sure whether I would buy an AMD processor either right now. You seem to get a lot bigger bang for the buck with Intel.

LaRoza
June 23rd, 2008, 01:08 AM
Unfortunately I'm not sure whether I would buy an AMD processor either right now. You seem to get a lot bigger bang for the buck with Intel.

Yes, I find Intel to be ahead (at least, in the desktop and laptop area). Intel wireless, video and processors can't be beat for Linux systems.

mips
June 23rd, 2008, 01:12 AM

I was looking at the Phenom 9750 Quadcore thinking I would see a significant price difference from the Intel Q6600. Where I live there was very little difference in price, one local shop actually sells the Q6600 for less. Performance wise the Intel also kicks butt in most areas.

kevdog
June 23rd, 2008, 01:13 AM
Is Intel wireless and video really that good? I dont have either so I'm really asking this as a question.

I find my atheros card (not my Broadcom) to work really well with madwifi -- wouldn't trade it for anything.

I have a laptop with intel on-board graphics. Compiz works, however its kind of slow. I'm curious what an NVIDIA card would look like -- I dont have one of those either. I have an ATI Radeon, however have never set up the composting manager.

days_of_ruin
June 23rd, 2008, 01:14 AM
Don't you mean "Revolutionary Leap"?
Otherwise it makes no sense.

doorknob60
June 23rd, 2008, 02:00 AM
Good for me, because my new mobo has built in ATI card and unitl I can afford a better one this is good news. Also I've heard people having problems with some Nvidia cards with it, so if things get better in time for me to buy a card, I might consider ATI :D EDIT: Also I bought an AMD CPU to go along with it so nice to know I'm supporting a company that support Linux. EDIT 2: Hmm...I might have to change my siggy soon lol.

RiceMonster
June 23rd, 2008, 02:04 AM
Is Intel wireless and video really that good? I dont have either so I'm really asking this as a question.

I find my atheros card (not my Broadcom) to work really well with madwifi -- wouldn't trade it for anything.

I have a laptop with intel on-board graphics. Compiz works, however its kind of slow. I'm curious what an NVIDIA card would look like -- I dont have one of those either. I have an ATI Radeon, however have never set up the composting manager.

I have intel wireless and graphics on my laptop. My graphics card was blacklisted with compiz until Hardy. However, wireless is great and has worked right out of the box with no problems since I installed Linux.

Can+~
June 23rd, 2008, 02:18 AM
http://digg.com/linux_unix/AMD_Makes_An_Evolutionary_Leap_In_Linux_Support

Aw, the link was submitted 3 days ago, it will be difficult to get it to the front page :(.

Great that the open-sourcing is working for them, this will be transformed into a open source success story and may lead to a major movement. Besides, fglrx always sucked, I can't remember how many times I had to fight with it to get things working, specially on day 0.

mrgnash
June 23rd, 2008, 04:44 AM
Don't you mean "Revolutionary Leap"?
Otherwise it makes no sense.

I am merely quoting from the article.

mips
June 23rd, 2008, 12:08 PM

Compatibility wise they are good.

The Intel GFX stuff is not as powerfull as the nVidia or ATI stuff. They do the job though at a much lower price and getting better with each new release.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA

geoken
June 23rd, 2008, 02:19 PM
If I bought a new ATI card right now (3xxx or 4xxx series) would it be as compatable as my current nVidia card?

My 8800gts runs compiz flawlessly. Videos run perfect, effects are all smooth, etc. I'm eyeing the new 4xxx series and wondering if this flawless compiz experience will continue with that card.

bijeeshvs
June 23rd, 2008, 02:40 PM
i think we should send our thanks to amd

yes i am gonna send a mail to them......................

Methuselah
June 23rd, 2008, 04:38 PM
Good news on the AMD/ATI front but recently intel has been a great open source supporter. They were the first to provide open source drivers for their graphics chips IIRC even before the chips were released. If intel sold discrete graphics chips, I would have bought one instead of the ATI I currently have (which unfortunately doesn't have functioning 3D acceleration in Hardy.

NVidia will have to join eventually.
In fact, there were rumours they were already considering Open Source.

bijeeshvs
June 27th, 2008, 01:46 PM

mrgnash
June 27th, 2008, 02:37 PM

Very cool :)

Lostincyberspace
June 27th, 2008, 04:39 PM
You should have asked if they were going to be back supporting linux with their previous drivers and cards.

Afkpuz
June 27th, 2008, 04:48 PM
So, I'm assuming that these changes are just getting rolling and I shouldn't jump to buy an ati card just yet? I have an nvidia card in my desktop and a forced ati card in my laptop. (There were no nvidia choices when I customized). My nvidia card runs circles around my ati card, but they should work relatively equal in windows So, does this announcement mean that I will be getting a better working video driver for my laptop, or just for these newer ati cards?

Extreme Coder
June 27th, 2008, 05:07 PM
So, I'm assuming that these changes are just getting rolling and I shouldn't jump to buy an ati card just yet? I have an nvidia card in my desktop and a forced ati card in my laptop. (There were no nvidia choices when I customized). My nvidia card runs circles around my ati card, but they should work relatively equal in windows So, does this announcement mean that I will be getting a better working video driver for my laptop, or just for these newer ati cards?
If any of you guys read the article, you would've known that FGLRX now is much better than it was before. I had no end of trouble with the old drivers and my X1200, but now I can run Compiz, play videos smoothly, and get same FPS in games as in Windows ;)