PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to fix my os

sclsch
June 22nd, 2008, 07:42 AM
I am a freshman. I have installed ubuntu system using wubi. but I forget my password, now I can not login my system. I notice that it has recovery mode ,but do not know how to fix my os . Who can help me? thanks.

jimv
June 22nd, 2008, 07:44 AM
See this post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-3609.html

sclsch
June 22nd, 2008, 08:13 AM
ok . it works well, I changed my password .
but I login os.
the warning is:
File should be owned by user and have 644 permissions.User's $HOME directory must beowned by user and not writebly by other users.

so I can not login my system.
it seems that some permissions are wrong. How can I do?

housam
June 22nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
Try this way :http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword). it may help.

jimv
June 22nd, 2008, 09:49 AM
log back into recovery mode

change the owner of your home folder back to you:

sudo chown -R your_username /home/your_username

and set the correct permissions:

sudo chmod -R 644 /home/your_username

sclsch
June 22nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
I shut down my windows then reboot to ubuntu recovery mode . I select the secode line : the shell ...(may be it is)
I type :
sudo chown -R scl /home/scl
but , shows:
no command message .
do I type the charactors wrong ??

the second line command works well.

jimv
June 22nd, 2008, 08:05 PM
HMmmm.

Are you still not able to log in?

If not, what's the output of this command:

ls -l /home/scl

dakal
June 22nd, 2008, 08:31 PM
and set the correct permissions:

sudo chmod -R 644 /home/your_username

Be very, very, very careful with this. Mode 0644 works well for documents and similar files but will make directories -- including your home directory itself -- inaccessible. More likely, this would be better (note the upper case X):

sudo chmod -R u=rwX,go= /home/your_username

As for the error in recovery mode, you probably don't even need to use sudo there. Try leaving out the word "sudo" entirely and see if that works any better. Also, shouldn't it be /target/home/your_username or something similar when working from the recovery console?

jimv
June 23rd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Be very, very, very careful with this. Mode 0644 works well for documents and similar files but will make directories -- including your home directory itself -- inaccessible. More likely, this would be better (note the upper case X):

File should be owned by user and have 644 permissions.User's $HOME directory must beowned by user and not writebly by other users.

So the instructions that Ubuntu spat out at him will break his already broken system?

dakal
June 23rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
So the instructions that Ubuntu spat out at him will break his already broken system?

Setting a home directory to mode 0644 (user read/write, group/world read) would very likely cause login attempts to fail, or at the very least drop the user somewhere else, possibly in an undefined environment. A directory needs "execute" permission in order to be accessible, and the home directory contains a number of configuration files that influence the desktop.

That the system is not working properly is absolutely no reason to risk breaking it any further by setting inappropriate permissions.

I don't think of directories as files, even though at a very low file system level I guess that is how they are implemented. To a regular user, they are different beasts and not interchangeable.

sclsch
June 24th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Thank you above. I have rebuild my system with wubi. I will work hard to study ubuntu.