PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Installing on a system with no OS

adam s..
June 22nd, 2008, 07:15 AM
I'm trying to install Xubuntu on a HP Pavilion notebook. the computer used to run XP, but doesn't anymore.
The disc works properly on another machine running XP, but when I put the disk into the blank HP, I just get the "Missing OS" scren.
how do I install on this?

thanks so much,
-Adam

CH1C0
June 22nd, 2008, 07:20 AM
Hi, try using the LiveCD to edit the partitions. :guitar:

adam s..
June 22nd, 2008, 07:23 AM
ok.
what is that?
sorry/thanks
-adam

werries
June 22nd, 2008, 07:51 AM
you need to go into the BIOS setup and change the boot sequence to boot from CD first. it will then load the xubuntu cd for install.

alenis
June 22nd, 2008, 07:55 AM
insert the ubuntu live cd, and make sure to boot from the cd and not from the HD. You may have to change the first boot device in the bios, or maybe you can select it at start pressing a key.

adam s..
June 22nd, 2008, 02:21 PM
The computer is set up to boot from the cd, but it still doesn't work.
could someone post a link to the "liveCD" download. I am confused what the difference between that and the desktop CD is.

-Adam

Habbit
June 22nd, 2008, 02:52 PM
The Desktop CD is the LiveCD they're talking about. Are you sure the disc is burned right? Did you burn the image to the disc or did you copy it? Besudes, the laptop must be set to boot from CD _before_ HD. That's all I could think of in 30 seconds. Good luck!

SuperStuff
June 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
If you have already gone into the BIOS and changed to boot from CD then my first initial thought is did you burn the Ubuntu ISO file or just copy it to a CD? The easy way to check this is to insert the CD into another computer and if a Ubuntu CD Menu appears than you know you burned the ISO.

meindian523
June 22nd, 2008, 04:17 PM
and if you burned the ISO,did you burn at a slow speed(4x approx) and did you md5sum the ISO before burning.

adam s..
June 22nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
i burned it to a DVD at "highest speed possible"
Disk utility wouldn't fit it on a CD (I'm using a mac to burn it, but the disc is for a PC)

I'll try doing a slower speed, and hashing.

SuperStuff
June 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
8.04 fit on a CD for me so that's a bit confusing. Did you have another file from a previous burn still listed? If yes, then clear and only burn the Ubuntu ISO file to a CD. Doesn't matter if you burn an ISO on a Mac or PC it should be the same. Now my next question would be if the HP computer only has a CD drive and if your trying to read a DVD.

adam s..
June 22nd, 2008, 07:11 PM
burned it to a CD, and it's installed now.
thanks for the help.

but My linksys PCMPC200 ethernet card isn't working with it, does anybody know anything about that?

meindian523
June 23rd, 2008, 09:37 AM
I would advise you to make a separate thread for your ethernet problems.Better for people searching for their problems later.

SuperStuff
June 23rd, 2008, 05:26 PM
burned it to a CD, and it's installed now.
thanks for the help.

but My linksys PCMPC200 ethernet card isn't working with it, does anybody know anything about that?

Outstanding! I agree with meindian523 on starting a new thread.