PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 games and linux

jpittack
June 22nd, 2008, 03:52 AM
I can not find the answer anywhere. Can I install linux on my PS3 and still play PS3 games?

Also, is it illegal for the os to use the graphics card? It doesn't sound like Sony wants customers buying the PC version of Quake Wars.

zmjjmz
June 22nd, 2008, 03:55 AM
Linux would be installed as a dual-boot. Check out YellowDogLinux.

And the graphics card thing, while it wouldn't be _illegal_ to get full access to it, I just don't think that it has 3D accel.

init1
June 22nd, 2008, 04:06 AM
I can not find the answer anywhere. Can I install linux on my PS3 and still play PS3 games?

Also, is it illegal for the os to use the graphics card? It doesn't sound like Sony wants customers buying the PC version of Quake Wars.
From what I heard yes, but I don't know for sure. I don't think it's illegal, but it may not be possible yet.

madjr
June 22nd, 2008, 11:01 AM

i would love to get a ps3 as a second pc.

i hope someone is able to crack it

sony is really dumb.

they could had sold more ps3 if they advertised it as a PC substitute + gaming console.

maybe they are waiting for Linux to be more popular?

PS4 maybe?

billgoldberg
June 22nd, 2008, 11:08 AM

You install linux as dual-boot.

There are lots of guides on the internet.

Linux can't use the 3d acceleration because sony doesn't allow it.

Why would it be illegal to do so?

It's your hardware.

It's just not possible.

--

I use my ps3 as a media center (streaming content from my desktop).

The only down part is that I haven't found a way to use subtitles.

And I'm to lazy to burn them into the vids.

MaximB
June 22nd, 2008, 11:26 AM
I thought that PS3 came WITH Linux by default, Yellow Dog Linux...

kevin11951
June 22nd, 2008, 11:29 AM

um... no. but i do have ubuntu on my ps3

bufsabre666
June 22nd, 2008, 11:32 AM

no, sony was going too but they never got around to doing it before launch date, and if you trace back further, youll find they were ganna have linux on the ps2, cause the ps2 is linux capable as well, moral of the story: sony sucks

zmjjmz
June 22nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
Sony had kits for putting Linux on the PS2.
And you can buy a YellowDogLinux DVD from Terrasoft (their company) and support them. YDL worked with Sony to get their Linux distro to work on the PS3, and I wouldn't mind having a nice box to hook up to an HDTV.

Ioky
June 22nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
i would love to get a ps3 as a second pc.

i hope someone is able to crack it

sony is really dumb.

they could had sold more ps3 if they advertised it as a PC substitute + gaming console.

maybe they are waiting for Linux to be more popular?

PS4 maybe?

Perfectly agree, they are smart enough to think of putting a second OS opition, but not smart enough to actually put an OS that work perfect with the system? and more rams? I mean it wouldn't be much more expensive to just put about 2GB of ram, even for that, We still can have a much cheaper system, and most of the Desktop out there. and it wouldn't be expensive for a computer can do such thing, but it is expensive for a system just for games.

jpittack
June 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
Since I can have a ps3 and a computer in one, I might as well. Any reports of DSL being tried, either on hard drive or on a flash drive?

zmjjmz
June 22nd, 2008, 10:00 PM
The DSL kernel is from...
2003 or so?

PokieCarlwin_is_borked
June 23rd, 2008, 02:56 AM
yeah,

so my buddy put Linux on his PS3 but we cant change the screen resolution. The tool bar only gives one option!! are there drivers I could add to help us??

Thank you in advance

jpittack
June 24th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I would need to use DSL-N. I'm just thinking small amount of ram to use.