PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Confused about p/word for install on user account

Ozdemon
June 22nd, 2008, 02:47 AM
I can't find the answer to what I think is a basic question. I have installed ubuntu (current) on 2 machines, so I have sudo rights. I then setup a user account for each machine (for my 2 daughters).

Now, if while one of them is logged on and using the machine, and they want me to install some software, I am prompted for a password. If I enter their password, no go. If I enter my password, no go. If I open terminal and type sudo apt-get install (whatever) no go.

So my question is do I have to logout of the user account and login to my admin account to do any install?

avtolle
June 22nd, 2008, 04:45 AM
Unless you want to give your daughters administrative rights, AFAIK, you will need to log out of her account and in to your account to do this.

Ozdemon
June 22nd, 2008, 04:58 AM
Unless you want to give your daughters administrative rights, AFAIK, you will need to log out of her account and in to your account to do this.

Thanks, I thought I must have missed something. I still don't know why it would ask me for a password if no matter what password I put in, it would be rejected because that account did not have admin rights. :confused:

avtolle
June 22nd, 2008, 05:09 AM
Hazarding a guess here, that is how the application(s) are programmed, that is, to ask for a password always notwithstanding the fact that the current user doesn't have the authority to take the requested action.