PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon: New Kernel: Device Won't Boot -- Here's the Fix

eric_stewart
June 22nd, 2008, 02:43 AM
I'm posting this just in case someone runs into this same issue and is pulling their hair out!

I am running 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon as a mail and web server on my home network. I recently updated the OS kernel when the Update Manager notified me of an update. After I upgraded, the device would not do an unattended boot. (It is very important to me that the device be able to do an unattended boot since I manage it remotely and only have a keyboard and monitor connected to it rarely). I say this because it wasn't immediately apparent to me what the problem was, just that my mail server became unresponsive when it rebooted.

When I connected my monitor and keyboard to the machine, I noted that GRUB (the boot loader) was giving me the following error message: "Error 18: Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS".

I did a Google search and found some old posts from 2006 on these forums where someone had the same problem after they had upgraded their kernel back then.

I solved the problem by uninstalling the kernel packages through Synaptic Package Manager. Another (but not recommended) solution is to manually edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file which GRUB consults for the kernel(s) to boot from, the top one usually being the default. After I had reverted to my "old" kernel, 2.6.22-14-386 , all was well.

If you do have a keyboard and monitor connected to your Ubuntu box you can normally choose one of the other kernels from the GRUB menu.

I have since run update manager again and note that the new kernel isn't listed in the updates anymore. I wonder if it's been pulled?

/Eric

thschiavo
June 25th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I'll try to do the same you did... See also this post for more people with this problem:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5260539#post5260539