PDA

View Full Version : Your Best P2P *Minus Limewire*

DoeRayMe
October 29th, 2005, 03:09 PM
I would like to know what everyone uses as thier P2P, But not including LimeWire

I would also like to know, Which P2P is the fastest/clean-good-looking-GUI that i can install from Synaptic

Thanks

majikstreet
October 29th, 2005, 03:18 PM
I would like to know what everyone uses as thier P2P, But not including LimeWire

I would also like to know, Which P2P is the fastest/clean-good-looking-GUI that i can install from Synaptic

Thanks
I personally use gtk-gnutella ---it may be installed by default though....it's nice.

BWF89
October 29th, 2005, 04:07 PM
I like BitTornado (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTornado).

XDevHald
October 29th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Linux DC++ is really good and the hubs there are awesome :)

herrpoon
October 29th, 2005, 05:02 PM
I used to use DC++ on campus at University last year, where obviously you got LAN speeds! But I can't seem to find any good hubs now that I'm off campus, willing to share? :P

xequence
October 29th, 2005, 05:20 PM
You really cant beat bittorent. More specifically, Azureus is the best torrent client...

Think of it, when was the last time you saw a 20 GB file on limewire or kazaa? Never :P BIttorent works, and it works good.

ow50
October 29th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Nothing beats the selection available at the ed2k network, hence I use mostly aMule. ed2k is not good for small files though. aMule is fully stable and works well. A bit ugly, but I can live with that.

Sometimes I use Nicotine, because I seem to be able to find a lot people with similar music taste at the soulseek network. Nicotine has a habit freezing for a minute or two every now and then and is not comfortable to use.

Occasionaly I use Linux DC++ as well, but the GUI seems to freeze after having been running for a while. It does work, I can read the log files to check what's happening, but the GUI gets completely grayed out.

For rare torrenting I tend to use bittornado. It seems to work quite well. The GUI is a bit ugly and non-standard, but at least not bloated and slow.

Ampersand
October 29th, 2005, 06:57 PM
I tend to use bittornado, occasionally amule as well. I tried gnome-bittorrent for a while.

My /anime drive is down to about 7Gb of free space now (from 200), so I need to burn off a few things before doing much more downloading...

Quest-Master
October 29th, 2005, 06:58 PM
BitTorrent, then Soulseek which is called Nicotine on Linux and can be downloaded from apt. Both excellent programs, and the Soulseek network has EVERY single song imaginable on it.

Havoc
October 29th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Azureus/Bittorent for the big files, or those that can be found easily, such as games, or albums (Damn, I blew my cover :P ) and DC++ for the rest.

Thats how I've worked for months now, and I'm happy.

bionnaki
October 29th, 2005, 07:52 PM
nicotine/soulseek for music, hands down.
I recommend http://nicotine.thegraveyard.org/#download
this version over what is in the repos.

bittorrent 4.1.6 for torrents.

dc++ is good too.