PDA

View Full Version : Darwin

commodore
October 29th, 2005, 02:39 PM
http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/

Darwin is an os. It's basically macintosh.

Those who know more about it. Can it run on a pc? I'd VERY, VERY like to try it.

UbuWu
October 29th, 2005, 04:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_%28operating_system%29

commodore
October 29th, 2005, 04:56 PM
I dunno what do you want to say. I know opendarwin too, but does opendarwin have mac os' window manager?

drizek
October 29th, 2005, 06:46 PM
i have osx tiger running on my pc...

commodore
October 29th, 2005, 07:07 PM
OS x is not free.

WildTangent
October 29th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Darwin is the underlying BSD core of OS X. It has NO window manager as far as I know. It will run on x86 PCs though, so you can try it if you want.

-Wild

xequence
October 29th, 2005, 10:28 PM
i have osx tiger running on my pc...

Yes, OSx86 rocks. Atleast it would if I could use it, my computer is too old :P

SlowJet
October 29th, 2005, 10:55 PM
OpenDarwin (unless there is a FreeDarwin, too) for x86 is a wip but last I looked they were thinking about Gnome.

I'm sure one of my Live CD's had a Mac OS gui for X or is that a KDE theme?

If you really want a cool OS try FreeBSD 6.
Limited hardware and Gome but under the hood is anything that can be done.
It's basically a raw Solaris or Mac X ready for polishing your way.
(as I understand it, OpenBSD is really not the Open licene but FreeBSD is the correct Licene? But most of people are fooled most of the time. :) )

I had FreeBSD 6 Beta3 for a little while ( 2 hours). It didn't reconise my NIC and the video needed configuring. So there I was in a black root screen.
I knew enough commands to see the partition layout and it looked like one but was in the old Unix spread of /boot, /, /var, /usr, /swap and so forth.
I saw that the disk has a 2048 byte sector and 16K blocks.
So I did a command to read something and it was faster than lighting.
And it will run on a tin can if you want it to.
An interesting OS as many things can be added to it.
SJ

commodore
October 30th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Opendarwin is yea just a wip and it isn't for desktop or server use. It's for the developers of mac os x or something like that. Still, I would like to try it. And darwin is bsd and mach combined.

UbuWu
October 30th, 2005, 10:00 AM
I dunno what do you want to say. I know opendarwin too, but does opendarwin have mac os' window manager?

Just posted that link because I thought you wanted to know more about it. If you want to try it, just try and make sure you post the results here.

commodore
October 30th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Ok, but first I'll try the stuff posted on my other thread- PYWM. I'll install it on gentoo so I get to try two things at the same time.