PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] OO writer 2.4 crashes

dansan
June 21st, 2008, 11:44 PM
After installing 8.04, OO Writer 2.4 worked fine, but after recent updates, I can't open it. It just crashes. I don't know which update it was since I don't use it daily.

This only happens with Writer. The other OO programs work normally. Anyone else experiencing this? Did you fix it?

p_quarles
June 22nd, 2008, 01:57 AM
What, if any, feedback do you get from the terminal? If you haven't attempted to launch it from there yet, you can do so by typing:

oowriter

dansan
June 22nd, 2008, 06:32 AM
What, if any, feedback do you get from the terminal? If you haven't attempted to launch it from there yet, you can do so by typing:

oowriter

There is no additional feedback; writer behaves exactly the same. This time I took screenshots to show what it does. View from left to right.

Furthermore, it makes no difference removing and reinstalling writer, either with Synaptic or Aptitude. The reinstalled version behaves exactly as the removed one.

The crashing only happens when a new document is being created.

I just discovered that Writer will open an existing document, of course groaning about the last crash and document it cannot recover. Then it opens the existing document.

P Quarles, hopefully, you'll figure out what's going on and how to stop it.

jflassche
June 29th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Hi dansan,

I experienced the same problem running Ubuntu 8.04. The solution (at least for now) is to uninstall openoffice.org-kde.

sudo apt-get autoremove --purge openoffice.org-kde

This seems to be the package that spoils everything! ;-)

dansan
July 1st, 2008, 12:25 PM
Hey jflassche,

I'll give this a try. Thanks for the tip.

Hi dansan,

I experienced the same problem running Ubuntu 8.04. The solution (at least for now) is to uninstall openoffice.org-kde.

sudo apt-get autoremove --purge openoffice.org-kde

This seems to be the package that spoils everything! ;-)

jflassche
July 3rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
The package (openoffice.org-kde) was recently updated. You should be able to (safely) reinstall it!

dansan
July 4th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks for this update. The same day as it came, the update service included openoffice.org-kde in its 43 offerings, and after installation, the problem was fixed.

:) Ubuntu gets another 10!