PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Messed up local authentication trying to set up LDAP

johnnybeem
June 21st, 2008, 10:45 PM
Hi,
I am trying to set up LDAP on my home network but never have before and frankly don't know what I'm doing. I followed the tutorial below...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LDAPClientAuthentication

...after setting up the server with a similar tutorial. I tried setting up my laptop as an LDAP client and failed horribly. The thing hangs for 5-10 minutes on startup then eventually runs like it did before. I tried reversing the client config by removing packages (libpam-ldap libnss-ldap nss-updatedb libnss-db), setting nsswitch.conf back to

passwd: compat
group: compat

Now it is giving me an "Authentication Failed" message at the login window right when I click my name (can't even try entering a password).

I need to get a book for LDAP because I am blindly entering commands from the tutorial and obviously didn't do something right.

For now, can somebody PLEASE help me get this back to the way it was before? I don't want LDAP, I just want local authentication.

johnnybeem
June 22nd, 2008, 04:19 AM
Amateur mistake... forgot to reset the lines in /etc/pam.d/(3 files)

all set now

tproberts
April 2nd, 2009, 01:02 AM
Hello,

Do you mind sharing the 3 lines that needed reset? I did the exact same thing as you, removing libnss-ldap package and locking myself out of the computer with no chance to enter a password - only username and then the Authentication Failed message.

By the way, 4 of my files in /etc/pam.d/ show recent modification dates: common-account, common-auth, common-password, and common-session. Their contents are:
[common-account]
account sufficient pam_ldap.so
account required pam_unix.so

[common-auth]
auth sufficient pam_ldap.so
auth required pam_unis.so nullok_secure use_first_pass

[common-password]
password sufficient pam_ldap.so
password required pam_unix.so nullok obscure min=4 max=8 md5

[common-session]
session required pam_unix.so
session required pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/
session optional pam_ldap.so
session optional pam_foreground.so

What is puzzling is I found many references to comment out the line:
@include common-pamkeyring

but it isn't in my pam.d/gdm file. Further, pam_ldap.so does not return when I try to locate pam_ldap

Thanks,
Tom