PDA

View Full Version : blogspot.com or wordpress.com?

odiseo77
June 21st, 2008, 05:45 PM
Hello people. I've been playing with the idea of starting a blog lately. I've seen some blogs are hosted on blogspot.com/blogger (which belongs to google, as far as I know), and others are hosted on wordpress.com (I don't know with which internet service is this one related). So, my questions are: which blog service is better in your opinion? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each one? etc.

Please keep in mind that this blog won't be anything technical-related, but rather a very personal thing, about some life experiences I've had, reflections, etc. (yeah, might sound umm, very personal, as I said before, but I'll attempt to keep some distance between me and what I tell). I still have to give my ideas a defined shape before I start working on it. So, based on this, which blog service do you think would be better for this purpose?

Also, for those who have blogs (preferably, personal blogs), which are your recommendations and advices to keep the blog going for an undefined time? Well, maybe this question is a bit relative and personal, and the most obvious answer would be to do some sort of brainstorm, something like that, but if you have some advice about this, I'd appreciate it :)

Thanks in advance for your answers and advices :)

(And sorry if I don't follow this thread too closely in the next hours, since I'm at work right now, but I'll try to read your answers at least, and reply when I can).

twright
June 21st, 2008, 05:47 PM
if wordpress.com is anything like the version you can install on your own server then it's great

blogger is nice but it can be limited

SomeGuyDude
June 21st, 2008, 06:05 PM
I use wordpress.com after using their software. It's great. Service works FAR better, the dashboard is full featured, etc. Blogger crashed on me constantly.

FuturePilot
June 21st, 2008, 06:08 PM
+1 for Wordpress.

aysiu
June 21st, 2008, 06:14 PM
Wordpress all the way.

Dr Small
June 21st, 2008, 06:16 PM
+3 for Wordpress.

odiseo77
June 21st, 2008, 06:21 PM
Ok, then I'll go for wordpress (in case I finally decide to do it). I had noticed wordpress' blogs had more features too, and seem to have a cleaner look, or at least seemed to be more customizable for what I could see in their blogs, but I was unsure.

Thanks you all for answering :)

Dr Small
June 21st, 2008, 06:24 PM
Just take a look at different blogs from here:
http://php.8ez.com/

Choose for yourself. Blogspot and Blogger seems to have a standard bland look about them, whereas Wordpress has alot of unique looking themes, addons, etc.

omar8
June 21st, 2008, 06:26 PM
I'm going to go against everyone else and say that if you are using a service wordpress.com/blogger.com I would personally go for blogger.com, it has pretty much just as many features as wordpress.com and you can put your own theme. the wordpress.com is very limited - no plugins/custom themes.
Also, if you do not like the nav bar at the top of blogger you can easily remove it.

Dr Small
June 21st, 2008, 06:28 PM
But the fact of Wordpress, is that it can be run on your own server, like mine. This allows you to customize, theme and add your own addons to everything you want, unlike blogger.

SomeGuyDude
June 21st, 2008, 06:29 PM
But the fact of Wordpress, is that it can be run on your own server, like mine. This allows you to customize, theme and add your own addons to everything you want, unlike blogger.

That's wordpress.org, not wordpress.com. I don't think he's asking about software to put on his own domain, he's going for their free service.

Yes, WP's software is amazing and when I had the moneh to keep my own domain going, I adored it. TypePad is also crazy good, but this is a different situation entirely.

odiseo77
June 21st, 2008, 06:39 PM
Well, I don't have my own server, but someone I know -which is not precisely a geek, so I doubt she has her own server- has a blog in wordpress and it looks nice, clean and has some cool features, so I think I'll go for wordpress (from what I have seen by browsing their blogs it seems to be more full-featured, and its general look seems to be nicer -at least looking at it from where I'm standing) :)

Again, thank you all.

atomkarinca
June 21st, 2008, 06:52 PM
+52 for Wordpress. And if you want to move your previous blogs to Wordpress, that's a piece of cake, too.

Kernel Sanders
June 21st, 2008, 06:58 PM
Be warned, the Wordpress servers are not so good if you get Dugg or anything! So if you are ever planning on getting some traffic, go with Blogger :)

hotweiss
June 21st, 2008, 07:01 PM
I use wordpress.com, I just wish that they would finally allow java script.

stmiller
June 22nd, 2008, 07:38 AM
wordpress. :)

SomeGuyDude
June 22nd, 2008, 09:23 AM
Be warned, the Wordpress servers are not so good if you get Dugg or anything! So if you are ever planning on getting some traffic, go with Blogger :)

Blogger died on me so many times often just at random. I've been Dugg, Farked, and Reddited and WP is cool.