PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using Ubuntu as a Router / Multi-Server

Ryan_Leaf
June 21st, 2008, 04:24 PM
Hello,
The current Linksys WRT54G router is causing issues with users on the network in my house, so we decided to look for a replacement. While my father thinks we should go for a dedicated router, I believe that we should go for an old computer to take the role.

I want to know if I can run something like Smoothwall (or Ubuntu), and run VMWare Server on it so it can run as a web server, mail server, file server, Windows Domain Controller, Print server, and a DNS server. I know how to do this with one dedicated firewall, and a dedicated server (running VMWare Fusion). However, due to the expense of using several machines to do this work, I want to have it run all from one machine.

The features I need from a firewall are: VPN pass-through and port forwarding. I have two network cards, so one will be the WAN interface, and the other will be the LAN interface. Do I need to firewall both, or should I only firewall the WAN interface? Also, if I find this works well, I will add a PCI wireless card and share it through that also.

I like the idea of having the settings that the Linksys has, but I also want the power of being able to run VMWare.

I'm not sure if this is do-able, but any help would be appreciated. Sorry if this sounds confusing, I will give clarification if it is not understandable.

[EDIT: This is to protect a home network]
Thank You,
Ryan Leaf

Ryan_Leaf
June 21st, 2008, 06:35 PM
Anybody?