PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] "There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon."

BlackCow
June 21st, 2008, 02:16 PM
So I haven't had this computer running to long. I just run a server on it mainly. When I log in to any of my user accounts it shows up with the tan screen for about 30 seconds, then a white box on the top right corner stays there for about 3 min! Eventually when it loads the white box shows up as an error box that reads,

There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The last error message was:

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.

Is there a way to fix this? I google searched the error and got some people with similar problems but no solution. The last thing I did was install updates.

I don't want to lose any of my settings. If I can't fix it is there a way to reinstall Gnome without messing up the Ubuntu install (programs, files, settings, etc)?

puneit
June 21st, 2008, 08:26 PM
Moving the .g* folders in the home folder to a new location and then restarting the system solves the issue but this also resets all customisations

BlackCow
June 23rd, 2008, 11:59 PM
I removed the following folders starting with g,

.gconf
.gconfd
.gnome
.gnome2
.gnome2_private
.gnupg
.gstreamer-0.10
.gvfs

It did reset my settings except the window bar is still a color I set it to so something is making me think that I missed a file and didn't delete all my settings; I'm still getting the error. :(

BlackCow
June 27th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I tried removing .gksu.lock and .gtk-bookmarks also but its still giving me the exact same problem. Are you sure there isn't something missing!

Is it at all possible to reinstall gnome or at least uninstall it and install xfce instead? (without messing with my other system files)

BlackCow
July 1st, 2008, 01:24 AM
I created a new user and logged in, I had the same problem.

Do I have to reinstall Ubuntu?! I really don't want to.

collinp
July 1st, 2008, 05:48 AM
No no, just reinstall Gnome and everything should be fine.

BlackCow
July 1st, 2008, 05:01 PM
No no, just reinstall Gnome and everything should be fine.

How do I do that?