PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Tracker not enabled by default?

randysparks
June 21st, 2008, 11:56 AM
What's the reason for Tracker not being enabled by default in Ubuntu Hardy?

ajgreeny
June 21st, 2008, 12:37 PM
It can take a lot of resources and it is better if machines are low on RAM, cpu speed etc etc to have tracker disabled by default. Many people don't want or need it anyway; it's only when you end up with literally hundreds of documents etc like me, that it comes into its own and can be very useful, helping me to find things like invoices for a particular customer etc etc.

randysparks
June 22nd, 2008, 10:26 AM
It can take a lot of resources and it is better if machines are low on RAM, cpu speed etc etc to have tracker disabled by default. Many people don't want or need it anyway; it's only when you end up with literally hundreds of documents etc like me, that it comes into its own and can be very useful, helping me to find things like invoices for a particular customer etc etc.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I found a posting somewhere (sorry, can't find it now) that said the Ubuntu devs had decided not to activate it out of the box for reasons of indexing load. Apparently the biggest hit is that it indexes each time you log into your desktop.

It's odd that it was heralded as a big thing just a while ago with the 7.04/7.10 (?) release but is now played down.

I think it's pretty extraordinary myself. The ability to search within docs is brilliant. It's just not terribly useful unless, like you say, you have a zillion documents and the organizational skills of a house brick.