PDA

View Full Version : some observations installing Breezy

occy8
October 29th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Hi I just got the Badger installed and have a few questions
1. I noticed that the CD runs very slow during install, why is it not running at 52 x
2. During the install all those language packs are cached. Why, it takes a fair bit of time.
3. I had to edit xorg.conf to enter the horizontal and vertical refresh rate. Same as before in Hoary. Isn't that possible to have that in there as standard?

By the way the badger rocks!!!

aysiu
October 29th, 2005, 09:47 AM
1. I noticed that the CD runs very slow during install, why is it not running at 52 xp I have no idea. How can you even tell what speed it's running at while it installs?

2. During the install all those language packs are cached. Why, it takes a fair bit of time. No idea.

3. I had to edit xorg.conf to enter the horizontal and vertical refresh rate. Same as before in Hoary. Isn't that possible to have that in there as standard?

By the way the badger rocks!!! I think it is in there as standard... for most people. I, too, however, have had to manually put the HorizSync and VertRefresh ranges in for both Hoary and Breezy. It's odd because Ubuntu's the only distro I've used that doesn't recognize my monitor's native 1024 x 768 capabilities (Mepis, Xandros, Linspire, Blag, SuSE, Mandriva, and a whole host of other distros all recognized it).

Ultimately, I think these are trivial things, though, and don't affect my choice of Ubuntu as my primary distro, but I'm also curious about those things.

occy8
October 29th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by occy8
1. I noticed that the CD runs very slow during install, why is it not running at 52 x

I have no idea. How can you even tell what speed it's running at while it installs?

I don't know exactly how fast it is going but my cd drive is getting fairly noise at full blast and during the install it wasn't. I tried Vector Linux recently and it sounds like the poor thing is falling apart thats what brought the idea up.