PDA

View Full Version : Nehalem: Break or Win?

Lord Xeb
June 21st, 2008, 03:14 AM
Okay here is an article explaining the nehalem (the new processor coming out from Intel): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_(microarchitecture)

What do you think? Personally, I think it will be amazing as in speed and power.

zachtib
June 21st, 2008, 04:05 AM
Nehalem is the reason I'm not letting myself buy a new computer or upgrade. It's tough, as I'm something of a compulsive upgrader.

I'm waiting at least for Nehalem, if not the 32nm shrink.

It's gonna be awesome

Lord Xeb
June 21st, 2008, 04:20 AM
Agreed. It is a vast improvement over the Core 2 Duo system and FSB :D

bufsabre666
June 21st, 2008, 05:36 AM
i think its ganna be nice kick butt but i still only buy amd computers

zachtib
June 21st, 2008, 06:06 AM
i think its ganna be nice kick butt but i still only buy amd computers

i used to be that way, but the core architecture and intel's amazing linux support changed my mind :)

bufsabre666
June 21st, 2008, 06:10 AM
i used to be that way, but the core architecture and intel's amazing linux support changed my mind :)

yeah but without amd providing competition for intel we'd still be using 286 processors, so im still ganna only buy amd to do a little bit to keep pressure on intel, plus at price point intel cant compete, 100$ amd proc benchmarks the about the same at a 160$ intel processor, plus the intel motherboard costs more, no thanks ill stay amd

zachtib
June 21st, 2008, 06:11 AM
yeah but without amd providing competition for intel we'd still be using 286 processors, so im still ganna only buy amd to do a little bit to keep pressure on intel, plus at price point intel cant compete, 100$ amd proc benchmarks the about the same at a 160$ intel processor, plus the intel motherboard costs more, no thanks ill stay amd

i agree that competition keeps things moving, thanks for taking one for the team :P

bufsabre666
June 21st, 2008, 06:53 AM
i agree that competition keeps things moving, thanks for taking one for the team :P

anytime, does my compiling just fine, so i cant complain

madjr
June 21st, 2008, 10:36 AM

for my home computer AMD all the way, but for laptops i prefer Intel

it's a 50/50 thing :)

Erunno
June 21st, 2008, 11:02 AM
The first preliminary impressions of the Nehalem are very impressive, even when running on prerelease hardware which hampers its performance:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3326

This really doesn't bode well for AMD, considering that the G45 mainboards, which are due for release at the end of July, will also give potential Intel buyers a great mainboard chipset to chose from.

McLogic
August 11th, 2008, 09:04 PM
The best idea is to run a current platform. A new low-end processor running on modern chipsets and hard drives will out perform the mid/high-end processor of 3 years ago (with 3 yo hard drives and chipsets).

The latest Intel platform (GMA X4500HD) with 2 GB of DDR3 RAM and a dual core CPU will cost about $270. It will be a long time before the new chips can be put into a system at this price point.

Spend $300 now and $300 later, it will give you more performance for the money.

Also, if you are in California or Europe, remember that taking a couple of old computers off your power bill can pay for one new computer in about a year. My Core2Quad uses less power at idle then my old celeron 1.3g!

Canis familiaris
August 11th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I think Nehalem woul not succeed. I dread the return of HyperThreading.

koji042
August 11th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I think Nehalem woul not succeed. I dread the return of HyperThreading.

It seems like the HyperThreading isn't that bad on the Nehalem (from the Anandtech preview). The architecture isn't NetBurst anymore, so you shouldn't expect the same results. Plus, the results show that the Nehalem will work significantly better than the Core 2s.

I'm just sad that I won't be upgrading my computer much any time in the next 2-3 years. The socket for the Nehalem has 1000+ pins. -.-