PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems booting from disk on Dell Inspiron 4000

Dde334
June 21st, 2008, 02:31 AM
I have just aquired an old Dell Inspiron 4000, currently running Windows Me. I dont know anything else about this computer's treatment, or even if it worked before I got it. I do know that Windows will not boot, it just freezes at the screen right after BIOS, where it displays the windows logo. It has 256 Mb RAM, supposedly enough to run on a CD. When I try to boot from CD, it will either freeze while loading, or make it to showing the desktop, but it's all messed up.:confused: I can see half of an error message, but it's so badly glitched that it is impossble to read. Is my computer beyond repair, or is there a way to install Ubuntu?
Please excuse the high noob factor.

Rocket2DMn
June 21st, 2008, 06:44 AM
Hi, you can install Ubuntu using the alternate install cd instead of the LiveCD since the Live session doesn't work for everybody. You can get the alternate cd by going to http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download and checking the box at the bottom of the page for the alternate install cd. This uses a text based installer, but it is intuitive and easy to use.
After installation you shouldn't have problems with the graphics, the LiveCD just has minimal graphics support.

Dde334
June 27th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks, that worked. With the glitch on the screen, it turns out all I had to do was press function-f7 and it would correct itself.