PDA

View Full Version : What if everybody used Linux?

mhancoc7
October 29th, 2005, 07:06 AM
I have been using Linux for about 2 years now. I have really learned a lot and really love Ubuntu. I have completely shed myself of the scurge of Micro$oft. I only use win4lin to occasionally run some ******* apps that I have not found a suitible alternative for. There a very few. I also use it for checking my website in IE6.

Ok I'm getting off track.

When I first started using Linux I was excited and a little overwhelmed. I remember feeling as if I was not in the "club". I tried to post questions and sometimes I would get answers that made me feel dumber. Some of them were even a bit rude. Now I tell you that so I can say this.

If one day everyone is using Linux will we still feel special. I mean I sometimes feel like I know something that everybody else doesn't know. Of course I always like to tell other people about Linux and specifically about Ubuntu, but sometimes it is nice to feel like I am a member of an elite group of individuals who are privileged enough to use Linux. I hate to even admit this because I don't want to be a part of an exclusive elitist club that is not open to newbies. I just wonder how it would be for Linux to be what everybody uses.

I also wonder if Linux is to become more widespread will it need to be dumbed down or will the average Joe need to get smarter. I would hate to see the first and I doubt the possibility of the latter.

Sorry for the odd little rant, but it has all been on my mind and I wondered what you all thought.

God Bless, Jereme

fuscia
October 29th, 2005, 07:11 AM
there would be no more wars, no more famine, no more unkind thoughts.

23meg
October 29th, 2005, 07:20 AM
There will never be a time when everybody will use Linux, just like there will never be a time when everybody will be using Windows, Mac OS, whatever. There will always be a mixture of choices, and Linux based OSes can only hope to increase their share, not aim to become a defacto like Windows did. One-size-fits-all solutions, large amounts of homogenity are bad for everyone because they force everyone to think the same way and cause everyone to be vulnerable to the same threats; we can only hope for more heterogenity to emerge, and in this sense everyone using Linux would be just as bad as everyone using Windows.

As for feeling special, I can only speak for myself: while I do believe that using UNIX-like OSes in an efficient manner is to a degree a declaration of sovereignty from more established and less sensible norms, I've never felt privileged or elite because I'm using Linux. Linux is neither for everyone, nor the domain of a privileged elite group; it's open, it exists as a choice, and doesn't have to do much beyond that.

stuporglue
October 29th, 2005, 07:26 AM
If one day everyone is using Linux will we still feel special. I mean I sometimes feel like I know something that everybody else doesn't know. Of course I always like to tell other people about Linux and specifically about Ubuntu, but sometimes it is nice to feel like I am a member of an elite group of individuals who are privileged enough to use Linux. I hate to even admit this because I don't want to be a part of an exclusive elitist club that is not open to newbies.

I think this is one of the major issues stopping Linux adoption by desktop users. I've seen in *nix users groups and on forums arround the web a general atitude of "if you want it, you'll have to make yourself good enough". For the most part, only the computer geeks step up to that challenge.

Linux should be being used by many more people. Take a look at just the University setting: Linux has great international support -- those taking language classes should have an OS that can be run in their study language with the spelling, grammar and input tools associated with that language. Art students -- yeah, Gimp, Inkscape and Blender3D aren't the "pro" tools you might be using in class, but at least you can vent your artistic abilities freely and Freely. Those with disabilities -- Free accessability tools.

The list of who Linux could greatly benefit goes on, but for most of those people, computer aren't a central interest, and they can't be bothered to break down the leetness-barier so many *nix users put up. These potential users aren't dumb, and don't need Linux dumbed down, they just need answers that are clear and respectfull.

aysiu
October 29th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Any time something becomes popular, the early adopters claim some kind of purist superiority--"I liked Alanis Morrisette way before everybody else did." Does it matter? Well, those people may still feel special, but the fact of the matter is everybody now likes the popular thing, whatever it is. If Linux becomes popular, sure there'll be the old fogies who'll say, "I remember the day..." and I think what will happen is a divergence (even more so than now) between "user friendly" distros and more "hardcore" distros. The "private club" feeling will be the Gentoos, Slackwares, and LFSes. The "oh, I'm just a regular user" feeling will be the Linspires and Mepises. I honestly don't think things will be that different.

manicka
October 29th, 2005, 09:46 AM
When I first started using Linux I was excited and a little overwhelmed. I remember feeling as if I was not in the "club". I tried to post questions and sometimes I would get answers that made me feel dumber. Some of them were even a bit rude.

I'd agree that this sort of thing can happen. When I first started using Linux, I joined a large LUG's mailing list. The way some newbies were treated was appalling and the threads would disintegrate into slanging matches about what consitutes an acceptable level of expertise to use Linux. It was pathetic.

Thankfully I've never seen that sort of thing happen on this forum. On the whole everyone is very helpful, polite and go out their way to help others no matter how newbeish the question, which amazes me considering the size of the community. Maybe it's the whole Ubuntu ethos or just some really consistent moderating, or both, but it's one of the things that keeps me using Ubuntu.

raublekick
October 29th, 2005, 02:22 PM
I've seen in *nix users groups and on forums arround the web a general atitude of "if you want it, you'll have to make yourself good enough". For the most part, only the computer geeks step up to that challenge.

I never really understood that viewpoint. First off, it's a terrible viewpoint of software engineering. And second, it's bringing Linux to the same level as the dung-slinging that Microsoft gets. How many times do people bash Microsoft for following what they want instead of what the users want? Couldn't one argue the same point about Linux, especially with comments like the one above?[/rant]

That said, I lost my "1337" feeling long ago, pretty much as soon as I started really learning about Linux. For me it just comes down to a choice. If you look at all of the major OSes (Windows, MacOS, Linux) evenly then it only comes down to a matter of usability. For me I like the usability of Linux best, and MacOS least.

commodore
October 29th, 2005, 02:43 PM
I too like to be a member of the group of special people who use linux. When Linux is mainstream, let's make an really complicated linux based OS that only the developers would understand :D Actually I will be very happy when Linux will become mainstream.

Stormy Eyes
October 29th, 2005, 02:50 PM
If the masses adopt Linux, then the 1337 people will just move to BSD.

Brunellus
October 29th, 2005, 05:54 PM
If the masses adopt Linux, then the 1337 people will just move to BSD.
or maybe GNU HURD?

xequence
October 29th, 2005, 06:03 PM
1. Microsoft would go out of business
2. Synamtec would go out of business
3. Lavasoft would go out of business
4. Webroot would go out of business
5. Software piracy would be cut by 90%

mhancoc7
October 30th, 2005, 04:29 AM
Thank you all of your input. I really enjoy hearing what others think.

I agree that this forum has never treated me poorly for being a newbie. I have always got great answers to my questions in a very kind manner. In fact Ubuntu was a breath of fresh air from some of the other forums that I have joined.

Now as I begin to mature in my use of Linux I hope to be as helpful to others as you all have been to me. It may sound silly, but Linux has really changed the way I look at using my computer and even the concept of freedom of choice when it comes to software.

Thank you all again for your wonderful insight. I hope to hear from even more of you.

God Bless, Jereme

xequence
October 30th, 2005, 04:42 AM
Thank you all of your input. I really enjoy hearing what others think.

I agree that this forum has never treated me poorly for being a newbie. I have always got great answers to my questions in a very kind manner. In fact Ubuntu was a breath of fresh air from some of the other forums that I have joined.
Yes, ubuntu users tend to be very nice towards newbies. When I was just starting, I was helped *ALOT* :)

Now as I begin to mature in my use of Linux I hope to be as helpful to others as you all have been to me. It may sound silly, but Linux has really changed the way I look at using my computer and even the concept of freedom of choice when it comes to software.

Thank you all again for your wonderful insight. I hope to hear from even more of you.

God Bless, Jereme

It doesent sound silly :P Its true for most people ;)

commodore
October 30th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Why haven't I tried GNU HURD?

Brunellus
October 30th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Why haven't I tried GNU HURD?
...because the HURD is not ready for prime time, and is not likely to be any time soon.

ghostintheshell
October 30th, 2005, 09:07 PM
"What if everybody used Linux?"

freedom (of choices) for everybody.

commodore
October 31st, 2005, 09:44 PM
If everybody would use linux there would be more overally UNIX apps and BSD would be more usable.