PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] [SOLVED] Cardbus 10/100 NICs that work with Ubuntu?

caravel
June 20th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I've just finished installing Xubuntu on an old Dell laptop. I am now wondering as to what is the best way to network it (I need to connect it to my wired router)? So far I have looked at some cardbus NICs and tried searching the net for any info as to linux drivers etc. What little I've seen has not been encouraging, not working, linux driver not working, or no linux driver to start with. I've also looked at USB NICs but there's not much to be found on those and I can't find any that have linux drivers available either.

The laptop does not have an onboard NIC and just one USB port.

Any ideas anyone? Much appreciated

Caravel

caravel
June 21st, 2008, 12:42 PM
Anyone?

caravel
July 1st, 2008, 01:59 PM
Well I decided to go for a USB NIC in the end. I'll let you all know how I get on. :)

caravel
July 3rd, 2008, 12:09 PM
Well I received it today, a D-Link DUB-E100 USB NIC. So I plugged it in and prepared for days of hassle and checking forums and trying different drivers. I was surprised when it simply worked straight out of the box. Plugged into USB port, plugged ethernet cable from router in the other end. IP address allocated. Done, online and downloading updates.

Also someone gave me a Netgear FA511 Cardbus NIC - just the card, no drivers or anything else. Plugged it in, plugged in ethernet cable again and also simply worked. I didn't configure anything and I now have eth0 and eth1 both still on roaming mode.

So all good. You can hardly complain about those being difficult to set up? I hope this is useful to someone else.