View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] No Sound

June 20th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I currently have no sound on my system. Basically i'd like to try removing all sound packages ALSA and PULSEAUDIO, then re-installing them, Before i attempt anything else Can anyone provide me with the commands ?

If it's sudo apt-get remove alsa and such, feel free to throw a brick.. :)

June 20th, 2008, 10:46 PM
try going into system> administration> package manager and UNCHECK the items. If that fails, applications> add/remove.

then do a control/alt/backspace and go back in and install Alsa FIRST.

But before you do that .. double check all of your speaker connections and make sure that they are plugged in right .. maybe even swap out the cables if you have some spares around.

June 20th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Hello again BGFG,

Before trying a brute force reinstall of alsa and pulse audio, I would try the following command in a terminal:

lsmod | grep snd

If you get a bunch of output, you shouldn't need to re-install alsa or pulse audio. Instead, go to System->Preferences->Sound and see if changing any of the sound output options enables sound for you (specifically, switching back and forth between alsa and pulse audio). If that doesn't work then, in a terminal again try:

And make sure all of the channels are unmuted and at full volume.

June 20th, 2008, 10:52 PM
You guys rock, lol,thanks I'll let you know how it goes.

June 20th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Ok so this was just careless, I got the output as VOR said i would and checked my volume settings. most were up at two thirds or higher so when i checked it before i didn't think that would be it. Turns out it was.
Tested sound with "Big Buck Bunny" and all was beautiful.
I should mention though, that whenever i hibernate, once restarted, the system has no sound.Going to test again now that i know my sound is fine....

Thanks! be back soon.