PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] Hardy and Gutsy dual boot

blairm
June 20th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Hi,

Interested in installing Hardy BUT would prefer to keep a version of Gutsy on my computer for the occasions I need to walk my parents through anything they have trouble with.

So three questions, I guess...

1) Heard a few horror stories when Hardy was first released - how does Hardy compare to Gutsy in terms of stability/speed now?

2) Have never dual booted with two linuxes before - is the procedure pretty similar to a dual boot with XP? Or are there traps for new players?

3) Would I have to do anything special to have all documents accessible in both partitions? (Gutsy in one, Hardy in the other)?

Thanks,

Blair

gr4nf
June 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM
1) Hardy has never worked any worse for me than gutsy.

2) It's way easier to dual boot w/two linuxs.

3) Not really. You could just mount the other to /mnt on startup, and have complete file exchange access.

tjwoosta
June 20th, 2008, 07:47 PM
well first off, dont listen to only the horror stories

(you never hear about all of the people that are satisfied)

i have been very happy with hardy

(compiz even worked for me right off the livecd, wich never happened with gutsy)

overall i think hardy is definatly worth it

and yes you can dual boot hardy and gutsy no problem (thats how i switched over too)

and you can easily access the files on the other ubuntu

yragrelluf
June 20th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Should be very similar to any dual boot system. When you install hardy, it will have kernel 2.6.24-16, but after you update it should be using kernel 2.6.24-18, and you can remove the older kernels. 2.6.24-18 took care of most of the bugs, and has been very stable for me. The documents should be visible on both partitions without any problems. And I think hardy is much faster, depending on your computer, and the applications/libs you utilize.:guitar:

C!oud
June 20th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Hi,

Interested in installing Hardy BUT would prefer to keep a version of Gutsy on my computer for the occasions I need to walk my parents through anything they have trouble with.

So three questions, I guess...

1) Heard a few horror stories when Hardy was first released - how does Hardy compare to Gutsy in terms of stability/speed now?

2) Have never dual booted with two linuxes before - is the procedure pretty similar to a dual boot with XP? Or are there traps for new players?

3) Would I have to do anything special to have all documents accessible in both partitions? (Gutsy in one, Hardy in the other)?

Thanks,

Blair

1. I have never experienced any problems at all with Hardy in fact it works a lot better on my computer than Gutsy did.

2. Dual booting two linuxes is set up exactly like you would set up a dual boot with Windows just make sure you don't make 2 swap partitions.

3. No since both partitions should have the same file format all files will be accessible no matter which OS you are in.

blairm
June 20th, 2008, 07:56 PM
This forum never ceases to amaze me - four replies in under 15 minutes!!!

Thanks to all who replied; will go ahead and try the dual boot.

Blair