PDA

View Full Version : Equivalent of apt-get *

gfg
June 20th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Hello! Does anyone know if there is a pacman equivalent of "apt-get *"? What I am trying to do is install all packages with the name fortune-mod. I haven't found any command to do this with pacman. Is this possible, or do I have to install every package manually?

Barrucadu
June 20th, 2008, 07:42 PM
You have to install them all manually, pacman doesn't support wildcards.
I suppose you could try to cobble together a script to search the database, use grep for the regex, and pass the matching packages to pacman, but it could waste more time than it would save.

kalpik
June 21st, 2008, 03:18 AM
You can try yaourt! yaourt fortune-mod. It will show you all packages with fortune-mod and then you can just select all to install :)

gfg
June 21st, 2008, 11:07 AM
You can try yaourt! yaourt fortune-mod. It will show you all packages with fortune-mod and then you can just select all to install :)

Yes, I tried it. It's very usefull, and allowed me to select the packages I wanted easily by typing a number range. Thanks.

Patogen
June 21st, 2008, 01:16 PM
pacman -S `pacman -Ss fortune-mod | grep fortune-mod | awk '{print $1}'`

Will install all packages named fortune-mod. There is probably a smarter way of doing this as well, but it works. Notice it's ticks `, not ' (except for the awk part).

handy
June 22nd, 2008, 05:21 AM
tupac (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TuPac) may make it quicker for you.