PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded to new kernel...lots of hard disk space used up..

scottptn
June 20th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Hi,

I am using Ubuntu 8.04 . My kernel release version is 2.6.24-generic . I recently downloaded the latest kernel source (v2.6.25.7) from kernel.org.
I compiled the kernel and installed it in the following way :

Step 1) tar -jxvf linux-2.6.25.7.tar.bz2

Step 2)ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.25.7/ /usr/src/linux

Step 3)I copied my old config file (config2.6.24-16-generic) from /boot to /usr/src/linux

Step 4) make gconfig (Kept all settings unchanged except I just set processor family, disabled ISA and MCA and turned on Advanced Linux Sound Architecture )

Step 5) make

Step 6) make modules_install

Step 7) make install

Step 8) cd /boot/

Step 9) mkinitramfs -o initrd.img-2.6.25.7 2.6.25.7

Step 10) update grub

This is the first time i compiled and installed a kernel myself, so i dont know whether i did it right.
So, now i want to uninstall the new kernel and undo any changes i made while installing it for the following two reasons

1) When i try to boot the new kernel it causes a Kernel Panic.

2) A lot of my hard disk space is being used up after this install (probably because some new programs got installed that i dont know of) and i dont know what to uninstall to get that space back.

Any help in this regards would be really appreciated.

Thank You.

Iandefor
June 21st, 2008, 12:20 AM
1) When you copied your old kernel config over, did you rename it to .config?
2) Did you run
make oldconfigBefore modifying your configuration? You need to do that to make sure that the old configuration is applied first.

Regarding the disk space being used up, do you have a sense of how much more is being taken up, and can you pinpoint where it's all being used using the disk usage analyzer tool (Applications->Accessories->Disk Usage Analyzer)? If it's in the kernel source directory, running make clean might help.