PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrading the 8.04 iso to a new kernel version,possible? how?

austinium
June 20th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Hi,

I have been using Ubuntu since 5.10. Right now I am using 8.04.

I was wondering if its possible to change the default kernel in the Ubuntu CD to a newer version. 8.04 comes with 2.6.24-16, the newest stable release(vanilla kernel) is 2.6.25.6. How do i make myself an Ubuntu CD with this version as the kernel? I have been googling around on this but most people who remaster tend to add applications, plugins and stuff and not change the kernel.

Why am I doing this? I trying to teach myself new stuff and basically learn more about the operating system. I have managed to compile custom kernels for my PC.

thanks

avtolle
June 20th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I would think that after installing the system, compiling the new kernel to work as you wish that you could use remaster to create a new CD.

austinium
June 21st, 2008, 11:20 AM
I would think that after installing the system, compiling the new kernel to work as you wish that you could use remaster to create a new CD.
You mean i should compile the newer kernel on my existing system and them remaster the CD? I have compiled the newer kernel and now am trying to figure out how to remaster the distribution CD to include this kernel in it.