View Full Version : [kubuntu] Messed up streaming vids

June 20th, 2008, 11:28 AM
If it's not broke, don't fix it!!!

Why don't I ever listen? lol *sigh*

I had my Hardy working great, all vids except for divx were playing properly in my browser, but I had to be greedy and push for the divx :(

I copied and pasted some stuff in the terminal, following various guides, BUT, not only do the divx vids still NOT play in firefox, but the vids on sites like zshare.net don't play like they used to...instead it shows a black area with the words Mplayer in it and buffering so-many percent. Then the SOUND of the video starts along with showing the video path, but that's it, no video :(

Is there anyway to get my comp back the way it was before I got fiddling with it? lol

June 20th, 2008, 11:30 AM
What, exactly, were you pasting into the terminal, and which guides were you following?

June 20th, 2008, 01:02 PM
If you can't remember your commands in terminal go to the hidden file in /home called .bash_history or simply type
history in terminal. This may help you to undo whatever you did.

June 20th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I was following this one here:

and my history is this:

122 sudo apt-get remove totem-mozilla
123 sudo apt-get install mplayer-mozilla vlc
124 sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
125 wget -q http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update
126 gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
127 sudo apt-get remove totem-mozilla
128 sudo apt-get install mozilla-plugin-vlc
129 sudo apt-get remove icedtea-gcjwebplugin openjdk-6-jre && sudo apt-get install alsa-oss libflashsupport libk3b2-extracodecs liblame0 libtunepimp5-mp3 libxine1-ffmpeg sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin unrar w32codecs
130 sudo apt-get install alsa-oss libk3b2-mp3 liblame0 libtunepimp5-mp3 libxine1-ffmpeg sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin unrar w32codecs
131 sudo apt-get remove totem-mozilla mozilla-plugin-vlc xine-plugin kaffeine-mozilla helix-player mozilla-helix-player
132 sudo apt-get install mplayer mozilla-mplayer
133 gedit $HOME/.mplayer/mplayerplug-in.conf
134 rm $HOME/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat
135 sudo apt-get update

with the line numbers removed, of course... mannn, what a mess I made of it all, lol