PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.04 does not boot up as live CD

Sandgroper
June 20th, 2008, 10:14 AM
With anticipation, I received a copy of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS in the post from Canonical. Compared with 7.10, it was a letdown. Of all the computers that I've used with 7.10, 8.04 will not boot as a live CD. Yes...all the computers I've tried to use with 8.04have at least 512meg or 1gb of ram. When booted 8.04 goes soooo slow, (like twiddle my thumbs), and then gives up the ghost by saying..."Boot Error CD." On a couple of computers, in Windows, a message comes up "Invalid CD Detected." Not good. So, I'm sticking to 7.10, as this version works well for me. Great plug -n- play with my hardware. Lets hope that by the next release, that these issues are sorted out.

dnairb
June 20th, 2008, 10:18 AM
If you are getting errors like Boot Error CD and Invalid CD Detected then it is very likely the CD that is at fault, not Ubuntu Hardy.
Try getting a replacement (or look for computer magazines with CDs/DVDs with an .iso file for Hardy)

Sandgroper
June 20th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Tah! I've already requested another CD. Lets hope that it is only the CD that is defective. I've found Ubuntu an easy distro to navigate and to use. It even surprised a couple of Windows lovers and Linux haters, the capabilities of Ubuntu to plug-n-play my hardware.