PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation freezing issues

Djinn Effer
June 20th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Alright... Here's the low down on my problem: When I tried installing with the Ubuntu LiveCD it would either freeze immediately once I got into the graphical environment or it would freeze after the step that I put my user information, once I actually got to step 6 and went to scroll down to read it and then it froze. Now, to explain this "freezing" thing... Basically, the mouse still moves, but everything else is locked up. When this happens, most things on the screen get torn up, horizontal lines of their pixels completely out of place.

So, I figure perhaps it's a graphics issue since I'm running dual monitors, or perhaps it's an nVidia issue.

So, smart lil me... I go ahead and get the Alternate CD instead -- this would be a good time to note that yes, I did infact check the md5sum and burn at the slowest possible speed and verify the CD's Integrity.

So, onto more of the same... I ended up getting it installed this time, through the Alternate CD; however, now the kicker... Every time I boot into Unbuntu directly after I put in my name and password, it goes to boot into Ubuntu, then this is what I'm left looking at: The screen is orange, there's a gray bar at the bottom, but it is pixelated like aforementioned, usually just the lower left or right hand corner is like this. Sometimes the upper bar is there and to the same affect, sometimes not. Now, when this occurs, of course it is frozen. I can do nothing but hardboot. I can move the mouse, but nothing loads no matter how long I wait and well y'know, it's frozen.

I've had Ubuntu on this computer before, infact... The only thing that has changed since Fiesty Fawn, I believe I had... 7.04 I think? Is that I've upgraded RAM since then. I had some 2*Crucial 512MB PC3200 DDR 400 Ballistix, and now I have 2*Crucial 2GB kit (1GBx2), 184-pin DIMM, DDR PC3200.

Alright, now onto the other technical mumbo-jumbo... Here's what I got in this computer I'm trying to put Ubuntu on:

Board: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ "Venice" 400FSB
Video: eVGA GeForce 7800 GT 256MB
RAM: 2*Crucial 2GB kit (1GBx2), 184-pin DIMM, DDR PC3200

But anywho... I need a solution to the, y'know... Issue. It can't be a fix from within Ubuntu, since I can't get into Ubuntu. But you all would know more about that then me. ;)

I just figure I'll mess my computer up once a year -- in fact, every June (ha ha? lol). :)

Djinn Effer
June 20th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Bump.

Djinn Effer
June 21st, 2008, 05:16 AM
Hm, sooo realistically... Nobody's going to be able to help me, are they?

I should just wait for the next release then I guess?

Djinn Effer
June 29th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Bumpy bump bump.

Pbethe
June 29th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Hm, sooo realistically... Nobody's going to be able to help me, are they?

I should just wait for the next release then I guess?
It is quiet here, isn't it. Have you tried posting a bug report?

I have never been able to install Unbuntu. I think my first try was two years ago. Things always freeze up soon after booting from a live CD. I can tell you, waiting for the next release doesn't help.