PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] How to stop Adept Updater from upgrading a program?

Tony Sivori
June 20th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Running Kubuntu 8.04. I have one program, Pan newsreader, which I much prefer an old version to the new one.

Is there any way to permanently remove Pan from the list of upgradeable programs in Adept Updater? I've tried “show details” → “cancel changes”, but that is back to “upgradeable” each time I start Adept Updater.

editrix
June 20th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I use Synaptic, but I'm sure Adept has the same feature. You can "pin" or "lock" the package. Then it won't show in your Installed (Upgradable) list --that's Synaptic's term for it.

Tony Sivori
June 20th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I use Synaptic, but I'm sure Adept has the same feature. You can "pin" or "lock" the package. Then it won't show in your Installed (Upgradable) list --that's Synaptic's term for it.

Nope, no such option in the Adept Updater GUI.

editrix
June 20th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Nope, no such option in the Adept Updater GUI.

Sorry. I meant Adept--the whole program. You can open it from the Kmenu. I don't use it because Synaptic is easier to figure out.

Tony Sivori
June 21st, 2008, 08:43 AM
Sorry. I meant Adept--the whole program. You can open it from the Kmenu. I don't use it because Synaptic is easier to figure out.

Even though that did not solve my problem, I appreciate you telling me about that. I had just assumed that Adept Updater and Adept Manager were the same thing. I see that Adept Manager has many more available programs listed.

It also has a few options that Adapt Updater doesn't, but the option to lock to a current version of an installed program doesn't seem to among the available choices.

editrix
June 23rd, 2008, 12:32 PM
Seriously, try Synaptic, which you can install with Adept. I have no idea if it will affect the Updater, which I always turn off. You can also, if you're brave, do all this from the command line--look for "apt"--but you don't really need the updater. You can always check for updates manually--at least, you can with Synaptic.

Tony Sivori
June 25th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Seriously, try Synaptic, which you can install with Adept. I have no idea if it will affect the Updater, which I always turn off. You can also, if you're brave, do all this from the command line--look for "apt"--but you don't really need the updater. You can always check for updates manually--at least, you can with Synaptic.

I think I'll pass on that. That's a big change to make, especially since I've already installed many programs with Adept. I'm already out of the main stream by using Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu, I don't want to end up with an install so unique that Google searches become useless.