PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Differences??

Andrew79
June 20th, 2008, 05:45 AM
What is the actuall differance between the kubuntu and regular ubuntu? I know it is a KDE desktop, but what does it mean in newbie talk? I have my picassa, thunderbird, and firefox on my ubuntu at the moment, but have a zune(yea yea i know) so no music. does kubuntu actually give me any advantage, will I be able to tell the differance and say, you know, I like this better???

cod3rbro
June 20th, 2008, 06:29 AM
I'm sure Ubuntu has more supports with a lot of packages

iaculallad
June 20th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Since talking about the differences b/w Ubuntu and (K)Ubuntu all boils down to the desktop it uses, try reading this Psychocats's page (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome) for more in-depth comparison b/w the two desktop environments.

bodhi.zazen
June 20th, 2008, 06:48 AM
The only differences are the default packages.

Kubuntu == KDE + KDE apps

Ubuntu == Gnome + gnome apps

Xubuntu == XFCE + some gnome apps (not a s many as Ubuntu).

Ubuntu == gksu KDE == kdesu

Other then that they use the same base and same repositories.

You can easily run gnome apps in KDE and KDE in gnome.

ScaredNoob
June 20th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Kubuntu might have more bells and whistles, but it's just not there yet (especially 8.04 w/ kde 4.x version). Ubuntu seems to have the upper-hand with Hardy, but Amarok is the best iTunes-killer out there, which you will definately want to use (the K in amaroK signifing its citizenship to kde/kubuntu). AmaroK can have an identity on regular Ubuntu, but it means slower app start-up time and/or more compatibility processes to start with boot. If your computer can handle this and not slow you down, no worries. Ubuntu wins by the length of a piece of string.

Might want to give a try Xubuntu Hardy, which allows you to (graphically) check/uncheck both gnome and kde compatibility processes from starting at boot... ie uncheck the default gnome processes, check kde with amaroK in mind and see if everything is good to boot. Again, if your 'pute is chronned out, check em both.