PDA

View Full Version : What printer?

jmedina
June 20th, 2008, 03:23 AM
I am in a war between two printers right now. My two choices are a Brother DCP-110C. Which has four different ink cartridges. My second choice is a Lexmark X3430 which only has a single ink cartridge. I have called a bunch of stores and they have recommended the Brother because you do not have to replace the whole cartridge if one ink wares out. What would you recommend?
Also there are a few more negative reviews on the Brother because people said that sometimes it stops seeing ink cartridges, but brother assured me that the negative reviews were people who were using 3rd party ink.

Links
Brother:
http://www10.quillcorp.com/Catalog/Browse/sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=166933&bcFlag=True&bcSCatId=31&bcSCatName=Printers&bcCatId=273&bcCatName=Inkjet+Multifunction+Machines&bcSSetId=22022&bcSSetName=Brother%AE+Inkjet+Multifunction+Machine s&Effort_Code=901&Find_Number=DCP110C#ProductDetails

Lexmark:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7850241

LaRoza
June 20th, 2008, 03:36 AM
First, Lexmark is a company from Hades. No Linux support. I never heard of the other.

Could you find an HP solution?

(If you aren't using Linux (you should have specified it (you should always specify when asking about hardware)), then the company doesn't matter)

jmedina
June 20th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Don't laugh,but it is going to be used in windows. Think I am going with the brother. At least Quill has an excellent return policy just in case.

LaRoza
June 20th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Don't laugh,but it is going to be used in windows. Think I am going with the brother. At least Quill has an excellent return policy just in case.

Then disregard my advise. I had a feeling it was for Windows but you didn't specify :-)

Hope whatever you get works out.

BreakDecks
June 20th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Go for the Brother.

It will work great in Windows, however, you are probably only going to get Printer support in Linux (if you ever use linux with it).

Luckily, you can put a Memory Stick into it and scan directly to that, then pull the image off the memory stick without every taking the stick out of the printer (The printer mounts the memory stick to your computer via USB).

jmedina
June 20th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Think I am still going with brother. They told me that a single cartridge can go 400-500 pages without being replaced. Does this make sense? Would you be scared of some of the negative reviews?

regomodo
June 20th, 2008, 09:40 AM
`

LookTJ
June 20th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Lexmark printers don't have a big support base. I would go for the Brother printer.

:)

EDIT:

Also Lexmark printers don't last very long.

maniacmusician
June 20th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Brother usually makes fairly decent printers, so if those two are your only choices, I'd go with brother. In my overall experience, though, I've found HP printers to be among my favorites.

jmedina
June 20th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Thank You for all of your replies! My first printer was a Lexmark Z23. It wasn't too bad, it printed sooooo slow though. Sounds like they may have gotten cheaper. Plus the company I am ordering the Brother through has a really good return policy just in case. Wish me Luck!

LaRoza
June 20th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Wish me Luck!

Good luck :-)