PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Latest update kernel 19- problems relating to permissions?

ptipton
June 20th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Have just installed the latest updates which include the 2.6.24.19 kernel and have a bunch of different problems which seem to relate to changes permissions:
1. Ktorrent wont run from the menu ( am running in gnome btw) but if start from terminal using sudo will run but gives errors "/var/tmp/kdecache-administrator is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid0
2.Mythtv backend cant connect to the database
3.When I try to shutdown using the menu , the menus disappear from the screen and then system freezes and have to do a hard reboot

Seems like these problems relate to ownerships and groups but when I try and view a group using the Users and groups menu everything is greyed out and cant actually change anything.

Any help much appreciated

buntunub
June 20th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Have just installed the latest updates which include the 2.6.24.19 kernel and have a bunch of different problems which seem to relate to changes permissions:
1. Ktorrent wont run from the menu ( am running in gnome btw) but if start from terminal using sudo will run but gives errors "/var/tmp/kdecache-administrator is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid0
2.Mythtv backend cant connect to the database
3.When I try to shutdown using the menu , the menus disappear from the screen and then system freezes and have to do a hard reboot

Seems like these problems relate to ownerships and groups but when I try and view a group using the Users and groups menu everything is greyed out and cant actually change anything.

Any help much appreciated

As far as the mythbackend, try running -

sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database

When thats done, restart the backend -

sudo /etc/init.d/mythbackend restart

For the GNOME related stuff, it looks like dbus is having issues possibly. Try restarting that via

sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart

see if that fixes things.