PDA

View Full Version : KLM in the dark ages

jonny
October 29th, 2005, 12:47 AM
KLM (the airline) has just changed its website so that all linux users get redirected to an 'unsupported browsers' page - even though they recommend Firefox under windows or mac osx. I'm a frequent flyer with KLM, and their website used to work perfectly in Firefox and Epiphany.

Anyone fancy joining me in flooding them with complaints? We need to hit hard against ignorant companies that take backward steps like this.

Unfortunately, you'll need Windows to joion in the fun. The URL is www.klm.com - you 'll get the message as soon as you choose your country and language.

Also, does anyone know how I change my settings to fool their web police?

xequence
October 29th, 2005, 01:03 AM
Opera lets you appear as IE, that might work.

Malphas
October 29th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Edit: xequence beat me to it.

Appolusionist
October 29th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Unfortunately, you'll need Windows to joion in the fun. The URL is www.klm.com (http://www.klm.com) - you 'll get the message as soon as you choose your country and language.

I have not altered my firefox on Ubuntu 5.10 and chose different countries/languages and I am not being directed to an unsupported browser page. I am going directly into the site which I can plan/book trips.

Ampersand
October 29th, 2005, 01:20 AM
I have not altered my firefox on Ubuntu 5.10 and chose different countries/languages and I am not being directed to an unsupported browser page. I am going directly into the site which I can plan/book trips.

I put in my language/country, the site started loading for a second, then I got redirected...

Appolusionist
October 29th, 2005, 01:37 AM
I put in my language/country, the site started loading for a second, then I got redirected...

I don't what to say...

I am able to book a flight from Toyko to New York without a problem. Oh well...

jonny
October 29th, 2005, 02:16 AM
Perhaps your country is OK, but Brits get excluded. I've booted up Windows, anyway, (took me a while to remember what I was doing ;) ) and filed a complaint. Can't see me flying with them again for a while - I usually only have Linux to hand so some other airline will get my business.

Joint action is the way forward. If it's more painful to answer all the complaints than to fix the website, guess which one they'll do...

Brunellus
October 29th, 2005, 03:24 AM
I am NOT well chuffed.

I can see the page for half a second, before the server 'realises' I'm running linux.

*sigh* not a dime to KLM.

Luke Redpath
October 29th, 2005, 03:33 AM
I had to download the user agent switcher to get in there, but I sent this message:

Hi - no offence, just some healthy advice, but I think its time to update your browser detection script. For some reason you seem to be blocking users of Mozilla Firefox on LINUX. However, you recommend Firefox for Windows and Mac on your browser support page.

Firefox renders the pages more or less the same on each platform as the rendering engine (Gecko) is platform independant.

I was able to get into the site by spoofing my user-agent and I can assure it works just fine.

Please don't shut out potential customers just because they choose to use Linux.

I think the form submission went through but I wasn't 100% sure.

jonny
November 9th, 2005, 02:29 AM
Well, I don't know how many of you complained to KLM, but it worked. The site's now usable in Firefox (but, sadly, not Epiphany)