PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Lexmark z605 (and possibly other 600 series)

tapH20guru
October 28th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Ubuntu Breezy with a lexmark z605
Modified HOWTO from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=49714 to work with breezy

Dependencies:

sudo apt-get install alien # rpm to deb converter
sudo apt-get install libstdc++5 # (breezy come with v6 but you need v5 for compatibility)

1. Download the driver from lexmark's site (CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz)

2. Run though the following commands

tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz # extract the driver.
tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz # the sh script is broken for newer systems.
tar -xvzf install.tar.gz # extract the contents produced by tail
sudo alien -t z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
sudo alien -t z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
sudo tar xvzf z600cups-1.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
sudo ldconfig # refresh ubuntu to see the new libraries
cd /usr/share/cups/model
sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz # unzip the ppd, which should _not_ be gzipped
sudo /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart #The driver is now installed. Restart the cups daemon.
3. Now we run:

/usr/lib/cups/backend/z600
You should be something like:

direct z600:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark Lexmark Z600 Series" "Lexmark Printer"
4.Now simply set up your printer using the new z600 driver. (ie: in GNOME: System->Administration->Printing)

Ubuntist
November 17th, 2005, 02:43 PM
These instructions worked for me in installing a Lexmark Z55, although some of the file names in the Z55 driver are not entirely parallel with those in the Z600's. When testing the backend (executing z55), I got no output at all, but the printer still seems to work just fine.

jimmyj
November 22nd, 2005, 07:33 AM
I was having problems getting a Dell 720 (repackaged Lexmark 615) that my roommate gave me for free working. I followed all the steps but the driver didn't output anything and the printer wouldn't work.

Ubuntu automatically pointed the printer to usb://Dell/Photo%20Printer%20720, but cups was complaining that the device did not exist. Finally, after a lot of hair pulling, I switched it to /dev/usb/lp0 and changed the permissions and I am now printing. I am worried that there is a security issue in my solution though. Is that okay? And how else should I go about fixing it?

brucek
November 29th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Modified HOWTO from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=49714 to work with breezy

Dependencies:

sudo apt-get install libstdc++5 # (breezy come with v6 but you need v5 for compatibility)

tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz # the sh script is broken for newer systems.
sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
sudo tar xvzf z600cups-1.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
cd /usr/share/cups/model
sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz # unzip the ppd, which should _not_ be gzipped
sudo /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart #The driver is now installed. Restart the cups daemon.
3. Now we run:

4.Now simply set up your printer using the new z600 driver. (ie: in GNOME: System->Administration->Printing)

Did all that, and got the expected results from ./z600, and the System->Administration->Printing shows my printer (I'd like it to say it's a Z25, but that's a minor issue). However, attempting to print a test page just sits with the paperfeed light blinking forever and nothing comes out. I pushed the paperfeed button, and the blinking stopped, but the paper still doesn't come out.

Any ideas?

brucek
November 29th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Did all that, and got the expected results from ./z600, and the System->Administration->Printing shows my printer (I'd like it to say it's a Z25, but that's a minor issue). However, attempting to print a test page just sits with the paperfeed light blinking forever and nothing comes out. I pushed the paperfeed button, and the blinking stopped, but the paper still doesn't come out.

Any ideas?

Found another thread that used a similar format on a z35 file (CJLZ35LE-CUPS-2.0-1.TAR.GZ), and got farther thru the process. However, somehow the z600 process wouldn't finish and release the printer, so I rebooted and now it works fine!

Under *******, the printer had a tool where you could fine tune the head alignment, but I'm not seeing that in the './z35 utilities' process. Maybe I don't care, tho.

Anyhow, it's working good enough for me!

Thanx!
-bk

bluevoodoo1
December 2nd, 2005, 07:19 PM
This worked perfectly for my z605! Thanks!

Chris Tucker
December 12th, 2005, 12:02 AM
working on a z715 .. but with the other .rpm's... meant for z700 series, when using z715, and maybe other z700 series, with the z600 driver, printing is off-center.
http://users.cybercity.dk/~dko12479/z700llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm
http://users.cybercity.dk/~dko12479/lexmark-z700-cups-driver-1.1.1-1.i586.rpm
HOWEVER...
I am haveing some issues, well, just one... no matter how many leading blank lines in a document, i get the first line of text right on the top edge of the page!
any help is appreciated.

Gsyman
December 16th, 2005, 09:06 PM
I get as far as the download from Lexmark which appears on the Desktop as a Tarball. When I run the command it does not see the download, what have I done wrong??

Rouge8
December 16th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Try 'cd Desktop'.

Gsyman
December 18th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks Rouge8 that did the trick !:smile:

DDaland
December 29th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Worked lie a charm- thanks!

monkey4ahead
January 4th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Just got my z23 working. Used the instructions but with the z35 drivers. All i need now is a black cartridge!

seabrook
January 6th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks, have managed to get a Z617 working.

Cheers

coaxx
January 12th, 2006, 04:15 PM

hey man please help me, after that my /usr Folder permissions are "drwx------ root root" and I cannot use /usr/bin/sudo anymore!!!!!!!!!!!

wtf? I did it once, installed dapper again and now I have exactly the same problem!! su is also useless sins root isnt activated, well what a mess!

mofomikeman
January 13th, 2006, 04:10 AM
I was having problems getting a Dell 720 (repackaged Lexmark 615) that my roommate gave me for free working. I followed all the steps but the driver didn't output anything and the printer wouldn't work.

Ubuntu automatically pointed the printer to usb://Dell/Photo%20Printer%20720, but cups was complaining that the device did not exist. Finally, after a lot of hair pulling, I switched it to /dev/usb/lp0 and changed the permissions and I am now printing. I am worried that there is a security issue in my solution though. Is that okay? And how else should I go about fixing it?
I have the same thing as you... when I followed the instructions, it no longer automatically detects the printer! I need to point it to that... and within 5 minutes from now! I uninstalled windows, and I have to get my homework done! HELP!

mofomikeman
January 13th, 2006, 05:00 AM
Bump

coaxx
January 13th, 2006, 10:57 AM
hey man please help me, after that my /usr Folder permissions are "drwx------ root root" and I cannot use /usr/bin/sudo anymore!!!!!!!!!!!

wtf? I did it once, installed dapper again and now I have exactly the same problem!! su is also useless sins root isnt activated, well what a mess!

Just to be more precise: I had this Problems with the z35 package fro, Lexmark (installation is the same has described in this howto). Be prepare not to extract the two gz files right into the /usr folder. I extracted em first in aother place and sudo copied then the subfolders of usr to /usr. That way I had no problems with the directory accessrights messed up. (btw a solution is to boot a knoppix, rw-mount the partition where /usr is and "sudo chmod -R go+rx /mnt/<yourmountname>/usr".

mofomikeman
January 13th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I have the same thing as you... when I followed the instructions, it no longer automatically detects the printer! I need to point it to that... and within 5 minutes from now! I uninstalled windows, and I have to get my homework done! HELP!
BBBBUMP

mofomikeman
January 13th, 2006, 08:44 PM

HOW DO I MAKE IT GO TO /dev/usb/lp0!

Oh, and I have no idea what it means to run the driver or plugin or whatever to get output.

fab4am
January 17th, 2006, 06:57 PM
aaaaaahhh!!!!

thank you very much !!!! first time i can really print with linux, and i'm using it for 1 year !!

thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fab4am
January 17th, 2006, 06:58 PM
i forgot : i'm using a Z615 printer and it works perfectly !

mtlife
January 19th, 2006, 09:05 PM
my z515 shows up in cups, and i followed all instructions.. but when i press print test page really nothing happens.. i think cups is not working correctly, since everyone else gets their printer to work.. can you help me?

edit: works now.. installed some extra cups packages (actually.. all of them that made sense) and now it works..

cwalk
January 20th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Perfect! works like a charm on my z600.
thanks!:)

rippon
January 21st, 2006, 06:38 AM
I get this:

Status: Paused: Unable to open USB device "usb://Lexmark/Z600%20Series": No such device

I did according to the instrusctions ( I have a z611 ). Im sure this is a noob problem with a usb port, but I dont know how to fix it. Any Ideas? Thanks!

rippon
January 24th, 2006, 07:04 AM
I get this:

Status: Paused: Unable to open USB device "usb://Lexmark/Z600%20Series": No such device

I did according to the instrusctions ( I have a z611 ). Im sure this is a noob problem with a usb port, but I dont know how to fix it. Any Ideas? Thanks!
Hmm, I still can't figure this one out. Anyone have any Ideas?
Thanks a lot.

ubunturules
January 25th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Has anyone gotten a Lexmark 510 Series to work with this?

79centuries
February 19th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Has anyone had success with the E232? the z600 driver doesn't work, but everything works fine until the test page, which comes out as 20 pages of junk. so I deleted that 'lexmark' file and started again. I've found a couple different formats of an E232 driver on the lexmark page, but the closest to this how-to is 'print-drivers-linux-glibc2-x86.rpm.gz'. I know it's got the same name, but it is listed for E200 series. here is what i have tried with this file:

$ sudo gunzip print-drivers-linux-glibc2-x86.rpm.gz
now i have a .rpm file
to change to tgz:
$ sudo alien -t print-drivers-linux-glibc2-x86.rpm
which outputs:
> drivers-LEXPrtDrv-5.3.1.tgz generated

so now i need to extract the tgz:
$ sudo tar xvzf drivers-LEXPrtDrv-5.3.1.tgz -C /
and all kinds of unpacking happened. so now...
$ sudo ldconfig

but the only lexmark file in /usr/share/cups/model is the z600 driver from attempt #1. any ideas on how to unpack this driver correctly? thanks all, and this is a really great how-to.

EDIT: nevermind. while i would like to know how to unpack this file, the optra-E321 'model' option and the suggested driver (hpjis, i think) work fine. Whoo!! now on to wireless print networks...

Khonsu
May 23rd, 2006, 10:33 PM
I am using an X1195 and I can't seem to get it to work for me. Anyone know why? Has anyone had problems with this printer?

-Khosnu

TheRingmaster
June 20th, 2006, 04:01 AM
does anyone have a lexmark X75 printer and has it working under dapper?

rough raider
June 20th, 2006, 07:37 AM
hi ! I have lexmark z705 and ubuntu 5.10 , drivers installed fine , test page prints in all colours but ... when I try to print something else like page from writer,calc etc , printer loads paper but it's nothing on it - it is blank
i tried again test page and it prints everything fine

anyone have same problem ,is there solution for it ?
ps : i tried also z605 ,z615 and z515 with same result , ink is full

moore.bryan
June 24th, 2006, 03:32 PM
alien hangs with package not found... any ideas?

nbt-tech
June 28th, 2006, 01:29 PM

Dependencies:

cd /usr/share/cups/model
3. Now we run:

Worked first time with Lexmark Z605 on Breezy (5.10 : config-2.6.12-10-386)

thx

moore.bryan
June 28th, 2006, 09:08 PM
the "sudo alien -t z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm" returns a "file not found" error.

aviper2k7
August 11th, 2006, 06:44 AM
the "sudo alien -t z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm" returns a "file not found" error.

Make sure you cd to the folder the file is in. Have a basic understanding (http://linux.org.mt/article/terminal) of the terminal and you'll be fine.

I posted here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=49714&page=14), but I think I posted in the wrong spot??? Well, I can't get the Dell AIO 624 (Lexmark z615) to work.

after

I get nothing.

The printer is detected though in printers, just nothing prints. I get the error:

Printing: Unable to lookup host '' - Unknown server error

and I am not sure what to put under "location"

Help would be appreciated, but if I don't get any I might as well uninstall linux and go back to windows where I can actually print :/

jamesstansell
August 20th, 2006, 01:49 PM
I don't have a lexmark to test this, but I think location should be something like z600:/dev/usb/lp0

You might find some additional help on the linuxprinting.org lexmark group. Here is a posting from January: http://lists.freestandards.org/pipermail/printing-user-lexmark/2006/003221.html

Also don't overlook asking in #ubuntu on IRC: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetRelayChat

Regards,

-james.

BigGP
October 1st, 2006, 09:57 PM
I had no problem installing the driver an my printer works fine. However, Apt-Get is now halting every time I try to run it giving an error that it can't find a repository for the Z600Cups package. How do I get apt-get to ignore the package?

johonbravo
November 8th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I Installed the driver without issues, then restarted cups without issue, then did this:

jon@jon-ubuntu:~$ /usr/lib/cups/backend/z600
direct z600:/dev/usblp0 "Lexmark Lexmark X1100 Series" "Lexmark Printer"

Things seemed to be working however I went to add the printer and under "lexmark" there is no z600 driver. I restarted cups again, rebooted, and still no driver viewable.

I have a Lexmark x1195

What could be causing this as there were no apparent install errors?

Meekajahama
December 1st, 2006, 12:10 AM
I Installed the driver without issues, then restarted cups without issue, then did this:

jon@jon-ubuntu:~$ /usr/lib/cups/backend/z600

Things seemed to be working however I went to add the printer and under "lexmark" there is no z600 driver. I restarted cups again, rebooted, and still no driver viewable.

I have a Lexmark x1195

I have the same problem but I'm using a Lexmark z615
Everything installs correctly and fine but when finding the driver in add printer there is no z600 driver. Restarted cups, rebooted and so on nothing. Any help would be great. ](*,)

mattycoze
January 9th, 2007, 01:48 AM
*QUOTES*
johonbravo I Installed the driver without issues, then restarted cups without issue, then did this:

Code:

jon@jon-ubuntu:~$ /usr/lib/cups/backend/z600 direct z600:/dev/usblp0 "Lexmark Lexmark X1100 Series" "Lexmark Printer"

I have a Lexmark x1195

*END QUOTE*

Yeah you know i get the same problem, i have a feeling after careful reading that it points to "/dev/usblp0" rather than "/dev/usb/lp0", anyone know how to change this? I've followed both instructions and both return the same thing, and you can't see either driver appear in the cups frontend wizard. That makes 4 people that i'm aware of with this problem, and yet nobody's done anything about it or at least put up a post about it.

](*,) PLEASE?

Preety please with sugar on top... common i'll be your friend *starts acting like a child* lol

Matty+C

glitterball
January 11th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Same problem here too.
Everything seems to go fine, but no z600 in the list of models or drivers.

josno
February 10th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Same problem here too.
Everything seems to go fine, but no z600 in the list of models or drivers.

I have the same problem - does anyone have a fix? I'm using Edgy rather than Breezy

troorl
February 12th, 2007, 10:21 PM
In my list doesn't present my z600 :(
What i'm doing wron?

P.S. Feisty...

elric.vh
February 27th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Got the same issue as well, all follows through ok... but then on the "Add a Printer" screen, I get a "Lexmark Lexmark Z600 Series" as well as a "Lexmark Z600 Series" printer, and when I select it, there is no matching driver. Anyone got a clue? I'm using Edgy

josno
March 1st, 2007, 12:28 AM
Well, I've got Edgy to actually install the printer - when I get to the driver selection stage the Z600 driver isn't listed, so I click 'Install Driver', browse to /usr/share/cups/model and select Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd. This adds Z600 V1.0-1 to the drivers list which I can select. However, it won't print a test page - it'll think about it and then just say "Stopped: job stopped" in the 'State' column of the jobs window. This is the same whether I add the "Lexmark Z600 Series" printer or the "Lexmark Lexmark Z600 Series". Any ideas?

smilliken
March 2nd, 2007, 04:16 AM
I tried the instructions from this post for a Z65. There two small problems.

1. sudo /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart
sudo: /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys: command not found

there is no file S19cupsys in the directory

K13isdnactivecards K20mysql K25mdadm S12915resolution S20sysfsutils
K14ppp K20rsync K30squid S12dbus S21aumix
K15bind9 K20samba K50dansguardian S13capiutils S25powersaved
K19spamassassin K20spampd K50proftpd S19hplip S50splashy90
K20bluez-utils K20ssh K99kdm S19splashy70 S89cron
K20clamav-daemon K20tftpd-hpa S05vbesave S20lisa S90binfmt-support
K20cupsys K20webmin S10acpid S20makedev S99rc.local
K20dhcp3-server K20xinetd S10sysklogd S20nvidia-kernel S99rmnologin
K20inetd K21dovecot S11klogd S20splashy80 S99splashyZ

2.direct z65:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark Lexmark Z65 Series" "Lexmark Printer", stated "bash: direct: command not found"

I ran thru the install for the printer ..... MEPIS>Setup>Peripherals>Ptinter>SMB thru windows and the Z65 was listed and installed wihtout any problems. Printed a test OK.

Do the above errors cause me any conerns?

Any help would be appreciated.

srwalter
March 8th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Hey

A friend of mine has a Lexmark printer, so I went ahead and make an Edgy deb for the Z55 driver. I based it off the "Lexmark Printer DDK" and sample code, which is all I could find on their site at this point. You need to install the DDK, which you can do by downloading the RPM from http://www.lexmark.com/lexmark/sequentialem/home/0,6959,204816596_659668523_676599624_en,00.html

Once you download the RPM, you can "fakeroot alien z55llpddk_2.0-1_i386.rpm" to get a debian package that you can install. Once you have that out of the way, you can install http://dasbrennen.isa-geek.org/~srwalter/lexmark-z55-1.0-1_i386.deb

The source is available at http://dasbrennen.isa-geek.org/~srwalter/lexmark-z55-1.0.tar.gz since it is based on the Z55 Sample Driver, which is GPL.

nifocmike
March 11th, 2007, 05:55 PM

cd /usr/share/cups/model

Okay, going through this list of commands I get:

mike@mike-linux:~/Desktop$ sudo alien -t z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm
Warning: Skipping conversion of scripts in package z600llpddk: postinst postrm preinst prerm
Warning: Use the --scripts parameter to include the scripts.
z600llpddk-2.0.tgz generated

Continuing on further down the command list I get:

mike@mike-linux:~/Desktop$ sudo tar xvzf z600cups-1.0.tgz -C /
tar: z600cups-1.0.tgz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
mike@mike-linux:~/Desktop$ sudo ldconfig
mike@mike-linux:~/Desktop$ cd /usr/share/cups/model
mike@mike-linux:/usr/share/cups/model$ sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz
gunzip: Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz: No such file or directory
mike@mike-linux:/usr/share/cups/model$ sudo /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart
* Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd [ ok ]
mike@mike-linux:/usr/share/cups/model$ /usr/lib/cups/backend/z600
bash: /usr/lib/cups/backend/z600: No such file or directory

Any help would be appreciated!

grusifix
March 11th, 2007, 08:12 PM
So your z600llpddk-2.0.tgz was generated OK using alien.
Did you generate z600cups-1.0.tgz using alien also? I believe not because of "Cannot open: No such file or directory"

Pikestaff
March 14th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Just tried this method on my Kubuntu Dapper... worked perfectly the first time, thank you to the person who wrote the tutorial :)

THEBIGEYE
March 25th, 2007, 02:38 AM
i have installed this driver before i reinstalled now i have this problem
after i install the driver and run
ian@ian-desktop:~$ /usr/lib/cups/backend/z600
ian@ian-desktop:~$
i go to system>administrator>printer and try to find the driver its no where it should be i goto install the driver on the cups interface and it tells me it needs a ppd file. i can find the z600 file but it wont let me open it saying its not a ppd file as i say this is very anoing as i had my printer up and running fine before so if anyone has any ideas assistance would be greatly appreated

jonick
April 23rd, 2007, 07:55 PM
*QUOTES*
johonbravo I Installed the driver without issues, then restarted cups without issue, then did this:

Code:

jon@jon-ubuntu:~$ /usr/lib/cups/backend/z600 direct z600:/dev/usblp0 "Lexmark Lexmark X1100 Series" "Lexmark Printer"

I have a Lexmark x1195

*END QUOTE*

Yeah you know i get the same problem, i have a feeling after careful reading that it points to "/dev/usblp0" rather than "/dev/usb/lp0", anyone know how to change this? I've followed both instructions and both return the same thing, and you can't see either driver appear in the cups frontend wizard. That makes 4 people that i'm aware of with this problem, and yet nobody's done anything about it or at least put up a post about it.

](*,) PLEASE?

Preety please with sugar on top... common i'll be your friend *starts acting like a child* lol

Matty+C

Dare I say, me too.... Help!!:(

josno
April 23rd, 2007, 09:38 PM
I had this problem - when it got to the choosing z600 driver bit I clicked on the install driver button and browsed to /usr/share/cups/model selecting the z600 ppd file.

Yeah you know i get the same problem, i have a feeling after careful reading that it points to "/dev/usblp0" rather than "/dev/usb/lp0", anyone know how to change this?
I have my Z605 working fine like this, so I don't think that's the problem.

mills
May 1st, 2007, 02:41 PM
I had this problem - when it got to the choosing z600 driver bit I clicked on the install driver button and browsed to /usr/share/cups/model selecting the z600 ppd file.

I have my Z605 working fine like this, so I don't think that's the problem.

hey josno,

that did the trick, maybe you should try and get that put in the howto, would save ppl like me alot of time:)

TheRingmaster
May 1st, 2007, 09:14 PM
are there any fixes for the Lexmark X75?

Priscilla
May 11th, 2007, 05:47 PM
What worked for me:

1 -> use -- scripts option in alien

2 -> use the find driver button if no Z600 is showing up to you (choose the pdd file you extracted in the Shell)

3 -> play with cups http://localhost:631 (I think one should add the printer to the cups, by this interface also, but I’m a newbie)

What is still not working for me:

4 -> The job stays in the printer queue without being printed with status “job-stopped”

Can anyone help me ?

bluevoodoo1
May 16th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Guide still works perfectly in Feisty. Thanks!

Mirandacc
June 17th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the tip. This worked excellently!

Sale
July 29th, 2007, 11:35 AM
What worked for me:

1 -> use -- scripts option in alien

2 -> use the find driver button if no Z600 is showing up to you (choose the pdd file you extracted in the Shell)

3 -> play with cups http://localhost:631 (I think one should add the printer to the cups, by this interface also, but I’m a newbie)

What is still not working for me:

4 -> The job stays in the printer queue without being printed with status “job-stopped”

Can anyone help me ?

I got to this same point... :(

Is there a solution?

I'm running 64bit Feisty.

altonbr
August 17th, 2007, 12:00 AM
I'm in Feisty too. Is there an updated HOW-TO by any chance?

Pauly Psychotic
August 19th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Thanks a lot for posting this! Works with no problem on our Lexmark z605! Which I have been trying to get to work for little over a month now! :)

altonbr
September 14th, 2007, 03:14 AM
~$ cd /usr/lib/cups/backend

/usr/lib/cups/backend$ ./z600

Judging by this, the printer should work. However, whenever I print to it, it always says "Held" or "Pause".

When I go to http://localhost:631/printers, my Lexmark Z605 says:

Lexmark_Z605 (Default Printer) "/usr/lib/cups/backend/z600 failed"

How do I test that the printer failed and why? It was able to print a test page, but not from OpenOffice.org

Manasia
November 28th, 2007, 06:17 AM
I have tried everything under the sun and my Dell Photo printer 720 does not work.

When I do ./z600 I get no output.

When I change the uri to z600://usb/dev/lp0 (Nothing)

I have been working with this for a while with no success. Anyone came into this problem?

Also when I do an ldd /usr/lib/cups/backend/z600 all the proper libraries are linked.

Cups just sits there and says it cannot connect to the printer.

Thanks.

Manasia
November 28th, 2007, 06:31 PM
One thing I notice is that my usb backend seems to be automatically attached to the printer, and not z600 backend.

When I do ./usb I get the same output as one would get when they do ./z600.

Does anyone know how to change this? I have tried using z600://dev/usb/lp0 in the configuration file and that does not help.

Hawk__0
February 1st, 2008, 04:26 AM
~$ cd /usr/lib/cups/backend

/usr/lib/cups/backend$ ./z600

Judging by this, the printer should work. However, whenever I print to it, it always says "Held" or "Pause".

When I go to http://localhost:631/printers, my Lexmark Z605 says:

How do I test that the printer failed and why? It was able to print a test page, but not from OpenOffice.org

I'm having the same problem :(
on my x6150.
lexmark = lame.

anybody know how to fix this???????????

MRCeltic
February 8th, 2008, 04:56 AM

Dependencies:

cd /usr/share/cups/model
3. Now we run:

At the end of step 2 I had issues with installing printer, I ended up having to use the GUI Printer Installer and point to the PPD file with the /usr/share/cups folder. That was the only way i could get the printer to work. Is there a way to Embed this PPD file within the new release of Ubuntu? Or for that matter all the lexmark printers? If they are that east to get the PPD file from the Lexmark Drivers for Red Hat and so forth, just a thought.

MRCeltic
February 8th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Also found this for those that are still having problems. not sure but this might be worth a shot for those that are still stuck.

http://forums.openprinting.org/list.php?29

oldHat
February 29th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I hope I'm not repeating any previous content with this.

This howto is good. I used it and it worked. However, I always felt a little uncomfortable using the "hands-on" approach to install drivers on a Ubuntu system.

After I trashed my system, along with my bookmark to this HOWTO, I found a different HOWTO. I prefer this method:

http://finebushpeople.net/LexmarkZ600

untar the script
run it, specifying the output directory with "-target"
alien to convert the rpms to debs
dpkg to install the debs

(of course, you shouldn't take advice anyone who admits trashing a Ubuntu system)

bageh
April 3rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
I did work to me until the

$ sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C

and

$ sudo tar xvzf z600cups-1.0.tgz -C

then I got an error message telling me that the tar option requires an argument -- C
(each one the same error)
I tried to skip that, but at the end nothing works!

Help me, please!!!!

GarethA
May 27th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Works fine on hardy with my Z605 - thanks!

I did work to me until the

$ sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C

and

$ sudo tar xvzf z600cups-1.0.tgz -C

then I got an error message telling me that the tar option requires an argument -- C
(each one the same error)
I tried to skip that, but at the end nothing works!

Help me, please!!!!

bageh - think you're missing a /
should be
sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C /

cristian.vulpe
March 29th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Hi!

Worked perfectly for me as well: Lexmark z615 on Ubuntu 8.10.

Thanks a lot!
cristi

kwesiamoako
May 14th, 2009, 02:36 PM
[quote=tapH20guru;451162]Ubuntu Hardy Heron with a lexmark z617
Modified HOWTO from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=49714 to work with breezy.

It did something small at the end

Dependencies:

sudo apt-get install libstdc++5 # (breezy come with v6 but you need v5 for compatibility)1. Download the driver from lexmark's site (CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz)

cd /usr/share/cups/model
sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart #The driver is now installed. Restart the cups daemon.3. Now we run:
/usr/lib/cups/backend/z600You should be something like(IMPORTANT):
5. Your printer should be turned on, you'd find the Lexmark printer there, choose, and click on the forward
6. Provide the ppd file which can be found in /usr/share/cups/model/
7. Click forward and you're done

Enjoy using your printer

DrBubba
August 9th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Worked like a charm on my Dell E6500 for remote printing to a Lexmark Z515.

felipebm
August 19th, 2009, 07:16 PM
beautiful solution!

thanks a lot!

baltadt
October 17th, 2009, 06:39 AM
awesome. Got my Z611 to work perfectly from OOo. Thank you so much.

crjim
November 2nd, 2009, 10:37 PM
thank you tapH20guru... just upgraded to 9.10 and the lexmark z645 that had been working in 9.04 quit working... new installation of the drivers following your instructions worked like a charm...

meddle84
November 7th, 2009, 12:38 PM
hey guys! i`m trying to print with z605 lexmark on ubuntu 9.10. but i cant use the way to install driver described here because libstdc++5. in karmic there is only libstdc++6. with that lib driver dose not works.
can somebody help me to solve this problem?
update: i solve it. i`ve install libstdc++5 from debian etch with all dependences (nearly 5 packages) good luck to all!

kpuz
August 2nd, 2011, 02:03 AM
Excellent tutorial! Got my old dusty z611 to work on Ubuntu 12.04.

Geezanansa
October 17th, 2011, 11:10 AM

Dependencies:

sudo apt-get install libstdc++5 # (breezy come with v6 but you need v5 for compatibility)1. Download the driver from lexmark's site (CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz)

cd /usr/share/cups/model
sudo /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart #The driver is now installed. Restart the cups daemon.3. Now we run:

/usr/lib/cups/backend/z600 You should be something like:

direct z600:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark Lexmark Z600 Series" "Lexmark Printer"4.Now simply set up your printer using the new z600 driver. (ie: in GNOME: System->Administration->Printing)

Big Thank You to tapH2Oguru.
Running oneiric and this tutorial got my lexmark X1270 printing (not tested scanner yet....)
Only got as far as
sudo /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart which i didnt know the oneiric default folder or equivalant so just exited and rebooted system then plugged in printer and then z600 was in list of drivers to install. Printer now printing.

This is the first time that i managed to install the drivers from lexmark. The drivers are from http://support.lexmark.com (http://support.lexmark.com/index?startover=y&question=CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz) and try using redhat as keyword for searching. Know it sounds obvious but I didn't easily find files even with full name. Looking at support pages on lexmark.com is different than at support.lexmark.com :lolflag:

Here is link on how to use terminal https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal#File_.26_Directory_Commands.

Ubuntu rocks and thanks to folks like tapH2Oguru noobuntuists can successfully tell their machine what to do. :guitar:

ddursma
January 17th, 2012, 01:54 AM
Ok, I have the same problem. Downloaded the driver. I am not a programmer, and gedit would not open the driver text. where do I go to enter the suggested commands and where do I save all that stuff to?

Just found out Ctrl - Alt - T opens a terminal for code entry. Just guessing this is where I am supposed to enter these commands, not downloading GNU emacs and editing the driver, maybe. oops.

ddursma
January 18th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Sorry, this did not work for me. ubuntu 11.10 Dell 720.
Downloaded the driver from Lexmark, but at the first tar command to extract the driver I get 'No such file or directory'.

So this issue has been floating around here for 8 years and no one has just posted a driver?

Guess I'm printer shopping. Crap, and I just bought toner.

Still trying to make this work. no luck. file is in Archive manager. Terminal still returns file does not exist.
Extracted to desktop folder manually.
Terminal returns file does not exist.
How do I get the folder to a location the Terminal can find to run the:
tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz # extract the driver.and then maybe I can run the second command line.

Got it! Thank you to the Forum posters!

Geezanansa
May 17th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Anybody got their old lexmark working with 12.04?:lolflag: